Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Rex 5, $399 blowout?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mbradt, Jul 28, 2004.

1. mbradt

mbradt

Jun 29, 2003
  2. The only downside is "Availability" says 47 Days. I ordered one--we'll see what happens.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I've owned my Spector REX2000/5 for almost 3 years now! It's great bass. 35" scale, EMG Hz pickups and EMG preamp. One day I'll change the pickups to DC40s ,but for now all I've done is add Schaller straplocks and upgrade the preamp to run on 18 volts (about £3 and about 5 minutes workl!).

As far as price goes, well I think $399 is a steal! Mine cost £665 (which at todays rate is about $1200!!!) 3 years ago.

Only thing wrong with it is a bit of neck dive, you can either move the strap button at the upper horn, or live with it (I just live with it!).

Hope this helps!

4. mbradt

mbradt

Jun 29, 2003
    Thanks for the replies.

Hey Johnny, could you tell me how to upgrade the preamp to 18 volts?

5. I got a "Backorder Notice" from em. I just ordered one as a backup to my Zon for my rap/metal gig (which is VERY part-time), so no hurry, and if it never becomes in stock, I won't worry too much as long as they never charge my card. I guess I'll tell you in a month and a half.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yes, I think I can! Get yourself another 9v battery socket - wont cost much.

Now go into your control cavity. Look to see where the wires going into and out of the battery are!

Now the black wire should be soldered to the jack socket. De solder this, and connect it or solder it to the red wire of the 9 volt battery socket. Then solder the black wire of the new battery socket onto the jack socket.

Stick a new battery in each and voila, you have an 18 volt system. There is just enough space for the extra battery in the control cavity - a bit fidgety, but it will fit (just!)

While you are in the cavity, you can have a play with the dip switches on the pre-amp board in there. They affect the mid cut - I think (it's been a while...might be to do with where the mid range is centred!). I just flicked them around until I got the nicest sound with everything else set flat!

Hope this helps! :bassist:

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Looks like they're gone now :(

8. Well, I just got an email from MF, and they cancelled my order because they can't get anymore from the manufacturer or something. Oh well--would've been a pretty cool deal.

9. mbradt

mbradt

Jun 29, 2003
    Now they're back, and in stock.

Looks like only Holoflash finish is available.

I ordered a black stain finish and it will arrive on Monday.

Thanks for the 9 to 18 volt upgrade, Johnny.

That's the first thing I'll do after I get it.

What were the stock strings like?

Thanks again for the replies.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

No worries!

Holoflash is nice...it's the finish I got! Black stain is nice too -with the quilted top - I was really torn when I ordered mine!

Stock strings were GHS Boomers - and were nice! Tried a few strings on it....currently has La Bella Hard Rockin Steels - which are real nice. The stock strings were good, and had plenty of life in them.....it was months before I eventually changed them!