Spector Rex Brown Signature Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kraig99, May 15, 2002.

1. Has anybody played one of these? How do they sound, and are they worth the money?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    USA or Korean?

I owned a Kroean REX-2000-4 for a while. It sounded good, the neck was AWESOME (played it self) but I didn't like the shape. It was uncomfortable to play sitting, on a strap, it didn't balance well, so I sold it.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep, body shapes like that are almost always neck-divey. I do think the bass looks very cool, but string spacing is too narrow for me.
  4. I've got a REX 2000/5, haven't played it a lot as it was in a car crash with me, and is currently getting some of the finish touched up.

I got it in the Holoflash option - it's fantastic. I would agree with Nino, like all Spectors I've played the neck is superb. The pickups are EMG HZ and do a very good job (I'm not going to change them!!!)

The body shape is a matter of taste. I also have a six string Explorer (g***ar not bass) and the playing style is very much like that. I like it, but the playing styl;e is different to the normal shaped Spectors!
  5. well i know this thread is old, and maybe forgotten, but I didnt feel like starting another one :)

Having just received my Rex 5 and playing it for hours today, I must say neck dive suits me. I like how the bass sits across me more horizontally. So, that's not a problem at all.

Man the neck really is easy to play. Much better than my Fender. Might have to sell that now. Hmmmm, maybe get a Spector 4 string!

6. Well, just got my Spector REX2000/5 back from my friendly guitar tech, who has spent a while on it fixing the gashes in the finish, sorting the neck and re-gluing several of the frets - it was in a car crash with me (just before you start thinking I abuse it!)

It's even better than I remember it - the neck is fantatstic, the sounds are amazing (and it's got the EMG Hz pups with EMG pre-amp), and although there is a little more neck dive than I remember, all it needs is a longer strap and it'll be perfect!!!:)
  7. Yea I think the strap is the key. Right before I put my strap on the Rex, I decided to shorten a few notches because I was wearing my Fender a bit low. Then the Rex was really high! So put my strap at full length, and viola, it was perfect.

Glad to see you got your baby back! Post some pics!