Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector sale on basscentral

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vampyre, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Vampyre

Vampyre

Dec 9, 2004
    i was just wondering why the used spectors on basscentral are so much cheaper than the retail value of them. Most basses on the site are only a bit cheaper when they have them in used but some spectors go from over $6000 to under $2000

Ive never played a spector but i suppose they must be of very good quality to be selling for $6000+

maybe i should jump on this deal

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I dont know but I usually take suggested retail prices with a grain of salt because every bass I have ever seen is always priced lower. That seems a big drop though.....

3. piper2614

piper2614

Nov 17, 2004
    Happy Bottom
    ..i agree about list price. another consideration is that basscentral is really crappy about updating there site. alot of there stock changes as do prices.i emailed them about a bass on there site a few weeks back and got a respose from perry that was actually above list..sooo there ya go .. good luck ..spector is def. a nice product i think you would enjoy..

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Bass Central is terrible about their web site updates. My Modulus was still on their site months after I had bought it from another member on this site, who had owned it for awhile.

5. I've actually spoken to Beaver about this, and the reason he gave me and has given many others, is this.

"We leave the pictures up there to let customers know what type of stock we generally have in. So if we don't have that particular bass anymore, there's a good chance we will have one like it again."

Now, I hesitantly put quotes around that, just keep in mind, those aren't his EXACT words, so don't kill me if he tells you other wise. What I wrote is just something to set parameters, and give you the jist of what the reason is.

IMO, it's a crappy reason :rollno: . I think an updated site would serve better. The way it is now, just gives you false hope, you call 'em up, or if you're here like I am, waste a trip, only to find it was sold 4 months ago.

-ryan-

PS. that $650 Corvette has been on there for about 6 or 7 months now... Seriously.

6. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    As for the prices the used Spectors are still listed high! Market is usually around $1600 or so on them, and I sold a US NS-4 on eBay not long ago for $1300 :bawl:

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1

IMO, it's far better to list an item with "SOLD" in a caption for that very reason. Many e-tailers use this method of listing sold merchandise, and with great success.

The message I take away from it is one that they're too lazy to keep their website updated. IMO, it's also a form of baiting.

8. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Ok how about i was in Orlando FL. recently and i ask my friend to take me to BC ,just to see what all the fuzz was all about.I was really surprised at how small the place is (and yes i know the do more bussiness via internet than at the store)what really turned me off was the lack of enthusiasm and profesionalism of the sales guy ,it felt to me like we were bothering him and i did not ask to try a bass or asked many questions.As a matter of fact i asked one question about a certain brand of strings and bought them,in and out of the place less than 20min.
    Thank God i was not looking to buy another bass,they would've lost the sale. :scowl:

9. Simball

Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I recently e-mailed BC to check out their "great deals" on spectors. I got 2 responses from them. For a plain old euro-4(not LX) one guy mailed me sayin' $1899! that beaver dude mailed me sayin' $1399 + shipping. Yeah, some sale :eyebrow:

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Blame Gard...he's the one who took the salesmanship out the door when he went to Roscoe...

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    It is a lousy reason. If you're someone who doesn't have a way of getting to the store, it's a pain to have to call and ask "Yea do you have this..this..this..this..etc.." It's especially rediculous that you can place an order online but the bass you want they might not even have.

12. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i hope that not all of them are bad like the one salesman i had,and by the way i'm not bashing on the store as a whole.
    is just for someone like me who's been into sales and management for 18 years and see people like that(incompetent) it kills me.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I've met a few of BCs staff...they all seemed okay. Gard stood out head and shoulders as one who cared, and I became friendly with him...enough so that he's got an open invitation to take me to a Cubs game if he ever makes it to Chicago! (LOL)

I wouldn't diss the store's operations from what I know. I just think their website is awful and borders on baiting. It's not like BCs website doesn't represent some items as sold...why no consistency? Are they trying to lead you to believe they have a certain bass, only to have you call so they can switch you into something else? Even if that's not the case, it's obviously perceived as such.

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...everything always ends up being MY fault somehow...

:bawl:

:spit:

Keep in mind, that EVERYONE has "off days", and maybe you just found a guy that was having one.

As for the website, I have no comment, based on the suckatude of my own site now...

:bag:

(Oh, and trust me, that Cubs game is gonna happen...soon...:D)

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yeah, your website needs to be "up-to-date". I tried to fill out an online form, and the computer prompted me to use a stone chisel.

I'm sure there's plenty of techies (myself included) who would love to rework the site, for a little GAS satisfaction.

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    What, not man enough to use a hammer & chisel, techweenie???

:spit:

...the line is already past the entrance to First Horizon Park over on Edgeworth & Bellemeade...I suggest you start at the end, I hear you techweenies can really get nasty when they get cut in front of...

;)

17. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Meh, I'll just pass. I don't have a stormtrooper outfit to wear and I don't know how to play Dungeons and Dragons.

I have my own high-tech website to update. I really need to update that as well. What a hypocrite, I am.

18. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    My two cents in defense of BC: I've never been to the shop, but I bought a new US Lakland from them a couple of years ago, and have nothing but good things to say about the service. The guy I talked to (don't remember who) went and got the bass I was interested in out of their warehouse (across the street?), called me back, talked me through it over the phone, and I had the bass in my hands in NYC two days later, just as advertised, at a very competitive price.

They also seem to have one of best selections of mid-to high end gear -- even if everything on the site isn't always in stock.

I'd be willing to be that BC's website problems are the same ones that plague anybody who's got a big website, but no in-house tech support. Unless you're a techie and do it every day, updating a website is a pain in the butt, and to update one as big as BCs every time there was a transaction would be a serious part-time job for someone. So you're forced to either write down the changes or phone them in to your tech person, or stand next to them while they make the changes..... Some day, website updating will be as slick as, say, secure credit card purchases, but very few places that aren't parts of giant corporations are there yet.

That said, BC's website seems to drive a lot of their business, so I think it would be reasonable that they update the thing at least weekly.

19. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    I agree whole-heartedly.

On the other hand, there are ways to make it easier to update a website. You can do some amazing things with Content Management Systems (CMS).

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1 I got my F Bass from them and have some other stuff on the way. I get Beaver on the phone most of the time, may just be luck, but the pricing he's been giving me blows away anything else I've seen on the web.