1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Spector - SSD Bob 5 Deluxe Lined Fretless PROJECT - Serial # 005

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by somecoolname, Oct 25, 2018.

1. somecoolname

somecoolname Supporting Member

May 10, 2013
    Price:
    $500
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    Spector SSD (Stuart Spector Designs) BOB 5 Deluxe Lined Fretless
    Serial #005 (see pics)

$500 shipped - lower 48

MANY more pics - please message me and we can get them to you.

History
    I am the original and only owner. I have worked in the music and audio manufacturing industry for 30+ years.

The bass was originally purchased in 96' directly from Thoroughbred Music/Armadillo in Florida. They were the builders and importers of the SSD line and I worked for them for a short while. It was purchased as an SSD BOB 5 DLX fretted. The day I got the bass I knew it would make a great sounding fretless and the custom work was done at Thoroughbred immediately after purchase (and I ordered another BOB 5!).

The frets were removed and filled with wood, stained to match the Tobacco burst top color. The Wilkinson bridge was replaced with a Kahler. 2 small shims were added (and can easily be removed-see pics) in the neck pocket to give a slight pitch - my request and preference. These are the only modifications.

The controls are volume, pan, cocentric mid level/freq, cocentric bass treble/+-

PROJECT - current state/condition
    After playing the bass for 15+ years I wanted to have the fingerboard re-surfaced and have the bridge countersunk (as it should have been when I got it). The person working on the bass had just done a few other guitars for me and his work was solid. Days became weeks, weeks became months, and after 6 months of hide and seek I had to get a lawyer and the county Sheriff to get it back.

The neck has been planed, sanded, sealed and partially polished. There is quite a bit of poly urethane around the back of the neck. This is the biggest part of the "project". The truss rod is out of the neck now, it is included. It has a new adjustment nut.

Body is in EXCELLENT condition overall, no dings or scratches. There is what appears to be a small drip of poly on the back of the body, small, can be seen in pics. Should be easy to remove or sand/polish.

There is an area on the headstock face that needs some polishing and can be seen in the pics.

The Kahler bridge was to be re-plated. It still needs a refinish. It can either be re-plated or epoxy painted (as from the factory).

ALL the electronics are included. There are new POTS included with the old parts so replacement will be quick and relatively easy. New jack, volume, pan, and I believe the cocentric mid-freq pan.

ALL the parts for the bass are included EXCEPT the tuners.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I've done my best to accurately describe the bass in it's present condition.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

MoonDoggy likes this.
  2. CeeJ

CeeJ

Jul 8, 2004
    EL A
    Who’s got this???
    I want to see how this turned out... and if you haven’t already done the project I would love to buy this from you!

3. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I ended up buying this beauty. The fellow that bought it from this thread did an amazing job of refinishing the bass. It's likely a keeper in my collection next to my BOB4 and other Spectors. I'll see if I can post some finished pics tomorrow.