1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector SSD pickups + preamp question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Systolic, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Thinking about picking up a Spector Legend to bang around. The one I have my eye on has the SSD pickups rather than the EMH HZs, and I know for a fact I don't love the Tone Pump Jr preamp.

Will the EMG preamps made for passive pickups be compatible with the SSD pickups? I was of the impression that the SSD pups are basically just a variation of the EMG HZ passive pickups.

2. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Bump

3. Iamgoodformetal

Iamgoodformetal

Apr 13, 2014
    Yes.

Systolic likes this.
  4. You can use any pickups with that preamp.

5. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Well I was kinda asking the other way around. Was wanting to put a EMG preamp in the Spector and as this specific model does not use EMG brand pickups AND uses passive pickups instead of the classic ACTIVE EMGs I was just wanting confirmation that I would need the: BQC System HZ rather than just the BQC System (no HZ,) and that the EMG preamps will still hook up/plug in to the SSD pickups without issue.

6. Apparently the BQS System includes the ABCX active blend pot. This has a 25k Ohms input impedance, which is not suitable for passive pickups.

As I understand (and I may be wrong) the BQS System is just the BQS control plus the ABCX blend pot. If that is the case, then you could remove the blend pot and substitute a standard passive blend pot, then feed the standard 1M Ohms input of the BQS Control.

7. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Or I could just get the BQC system designed for passive pickups correct? This one:
    EMG Pickups / BQC System HZ / Bass EQ Passive / For Bass / Accessories / Electric Guitar Pickups, Bass Guitar Pickups, Acoustic Guitar Pickups

8. Systolic likes this.
  9. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    I have a Legend Set Neck with the EMGs and the EMG pre...it sounds amazing, I own several Spectors but this one is THE tone I always heard in my head yet could not find, until this...
    IMG_0261.

10. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Aweseome, that's basically what I'd be looking at just with the SSD pups rather than the HZ's. The SSD's seem to be a more present in the mids for my personal liking.

11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Yeah, almost NO mids with the EMGs, VERY growly and powerful. Rock on!

Systolic likes this.