Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector/ssd

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Apr 1, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i found an used stuart spector designed SSD. it has 5 strings, the SSD logo instead the Spector and it seems to be made in Europe. it has two soapbar EMG a thunderous sound and a monstrous attack. before buying it i'd like to know by the spector users (i know you are a lot..nino, mr.dead...) out there what's the difference between spector and SSD and if you could help me identifying this bass. it's on sale for the corrispective of 750us$. the price is good to be an italian price...
    fast help really appreciated!

ciao

just as exemple of the SSD lodo i'm talking about take a look at this pic. remember that the bass in the pic is different form the one i'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In the late 80, Sprctor teamed up w/Kramer guitars. In early 1990, Kramer went out of business & they still had the rights to the Spector logo. When Stuart began to make basses again, he couldnt use his logo so he had to use the SSD (Stuart Spector Design) logo. My American NS-5 has the SSD logo. The basses are basically the same. In the SSD era, the Czech basses didn't have the "Crown" inlays & the maple bodies weren't as nicley figured as they are now.

P.S. if the bass has gold hardware it's a Czech bass. If it has black hardware, it's Korean.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks!
    the hardware is for sure gold. what do you think of the price? is it good?

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    and on the back of the headstock there is something like written by hand signed by stu spector, if i remember
    it is finished in red

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    $750 is a very good price if it includes shipping. If it's @ a shop in Italy, pick it up. If you have to pay for shipping, go to www.musiciansfriend.com & you could get one starting @ $699.99. I don't know how much they charge to ship to Italy!!!

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it is second hand at a shop near my town, i'm excited by that bass. i was looking for a cheap modern fat sounding bass and i was aiming a new ibanez atk, but when i entered the shop i saw the SSD. sounded great. i'm going to sell to the shop my svt3pro and buy at the same price the SSD. if you say that SSd is the same as spector, i'll go straight! i really need a powerful bass, my main bass at the moment is an old rick 4001, i love it but it's not the most powerful workhorse out there...the SSD is euipped with EMG soapbars, is it the same for yours?

7. I see Nino already squared you away with the info.
    My '96 Spector 5 has the SSD logo. My '97 Spector 5 and '99 Spector 4 has the current Spector logo.
    The fives have the EMG DC-40 humbucking
    "soapbar" pickups and the four has the EMG P/J pickups.
    I defintely recommend that you buy the Spector. You won't NEED anything else (although you'd WANT [AKA G.A.S.] another Spector)!!!

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My '95 Spector also has the SSD logo. To my knowledge, the only difference between a "Spector" logo and the "SSD" logo is when the instrument was made. I've asked numerous times and gotten the same responses from even the most avid collectors: they are otherwise the same instrument.

Sounds like a great buy! I'd go for it!:D:D:D

9. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I just bought a Spector NS-5cr, about 4 months ago, and wow, was it worth the wait. I found a deal in musicians friend for $1200, they normally go for $1500, but the reason it was so cheap was because there was a backlog in production and there were only like 3 colors available. I called up the guys at Bass Central and they metched the price, and about 3 months later and many phone calls, this beautiful piece of craftmanship arrived at my door. I was both anxious in playing it and also wanting to just look and not get any fingerprints on it. Needless to say, it quickly replaced my Fender Jazz as my main ax, and is a beautiful instrument to both the eyes and ears. Good luck with yours and have fun :)

10. Bassic Bob,
    I'd like to be the first to welcome you to talkbass.com! I am a regular to the Spector threads along with "RAM", "NINO" and crew.
    I remember getting my first Czech Spector back in '96 and how excited I was (NSCRFM in blue burst) and there were very few dealers back then. Since then I've added 2 more to the family (another 5 in amber stain and a 4 in plum stain.
    I used to review basses for a now defunct local music magazine and I had a chance to review alot of expensive basses (some much costlier than the CR Spector) and the CR Spector was neck in neck with the $4000 (sale price) basses. They're that good!!! Congrats on your Spector and look forward to your Spector threads/replies!

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    YUP!!! They ARE that good! Unlike Nino and Dead, I only have 1. But, for now, one is enough (NOT!!!). I have a US NS-4 built in Feb, 1995, according to Stuart's signature on the back of the red stain headstock. It's under the SSD logo, if you didn't get that from above!

I have actually never played a 4-string Czech model, believe it or not! Perhaps one day...But, I'm a snob, so when I invest in another Spector, I may just go for another US model...after my honeymoon is paid for, that is;)

And, by the way...Welcome to TB!:D

12. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    Its ironic, i guess, that I based (no pun intended) my decision on playing the NS4-cr. There was a blueburst one a while ago in my local Sam Ash, and after every band practice we'd walk over and check them out, and every time I picked up that bass I said I'm going to own one of these. :) About 3 years later I decided to buy a five string and was tossed up between Spector and Carvin. I was real close to buying the Carvin, but kept on putting it off because of money. I (or actually my mom pointed it out to me) the deal in the musicians friend catalog and....impulse buy :) Best decision I ever made.

Thanks for the welcome. Just found out about the site and sounds like a cool place to hang out.

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Hi Rob & I welcome another Spector Player. I'm from Staten Island & work in Brooklyn. I wonder if we know each other.

14. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thaks to all of you!! i have bought the cech ns 5 for the corrispective of 700us $. the bass is in a beautiful see through red, really excellent condition and monstrous sound. it defeated the other basses i have tried in my soundcheck at the shop.
    pleas welcom me in the spector family. hope to post some pics as soon as possible.
    thanks nino, mr dead, ram and all the otehr guys.
    is there a way to date a SSd?

15. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    barroso, WELCOME to the SPECTOR family. I suggest you start saving now for your next one!!! :) Because one is never enough. Just like the the "Pringles" ad says, "Once you pop, you can't stop."

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    [​IMG]

mine is in this finish. quite the same except for the dot instead the beautiful crown inlay and the SSd logo instead the spector logo.

maybe the next in blue...

17. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    mine looks just like that with plum stain finish. just rid the backened edges and boost the magenta value. i'll try and put some pics up during the weekend

18. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Yeah My Czeck Spector is the same except it has the newer Spector (original) logo & it's in a solid black finish.

19. Definitely, welcome to the Spector family Barraso!
    You have made a wise choice!!! The best way to find out when your Spector was built is to e-mail Spector your serial number which is located inside the control cavity.The e-mail address is )info@spectorbass.com)
    See ya in the Spector threads!!!

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thanks again for the info!
    what are your favourite strings on the spector ns5?
    which one do you use and suggest?
    thx