Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El-Gato, Aug 21, 2003.

1. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    I am planning on ordering a Spector NS5CRFM soon, but I am wondering about the supposed smaller than standard string spacing. The only basses I have slapped with on a day to day basis are an Ibanez EDC 5-string and Fender MIM Jazz 4 string. Is the string spacing a big enough difference for me to actually have trouble slapping on the Spector?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i have a ns2a and i havent noticed a difference at all. I slap the heck out of that thing. I have a Ernie Ball stingray too so i mean thats a pretty good point of reference. If they do its not noticable. and you can definately still slap on them.

3. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    thanks a lot for the reply, at least the 4-string sounds like its fine with slapping, anyone have experience with 5's?

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    had a 5 nscrfm

If you can slap on your ibanez fine, it should be no problem I think. Does your ibanez have slightly tighter spacing than the 4? I know the btb's have standard spacing but I thought the others were narrower.

Personally, I prefer the standard spacing. I had a cirrus I loved, except it was a little too tight. I got an MTD 535 and a R bass with standard spacing, and there is no way I cn go back now. But if you are already used to it, should be fine.

5. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I recently played a NS2 fivestring at a store, and I thought that it was pretty tight. The strings of my Ibanez EDB 605 are quite close to each other, but this thing had even less space for slapping. Still, I think that everyone with average fingers (not as thick as a hotdog) will be able to perform well on this bass. Besides, if you're trying to develop a fast and accurate slap technique, digging your claws deeply between the strings won't help you anyway. Personally, I find myself to slap better on tight spacing, and fingerstyle playing is also more fluid.

Johannes

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    My problem is when popping with the indes and middle finger, tight spacing holds on to my knuckles when they go in. Added resistance I am not trying to pay for.

7. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    Yeah that's the main problem for me, popping the D and A strings are the main concern.

8. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If its a concern to you, then I suggest you try 5 strings with standard spacing to see if you want to spend money of that spector 5. It turned out to be one of my deciding factors, and have wasted a lot of dough on basses that I turned around partly cause of that reason.

Try a lakland 55-02. Same price.

9. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I was trying to say that IMO there is no need to dig in so deep that your knuckels will obstructingly be stopped by the next string. I never dig in that deep, my fingertips usually won't go any deeper than about half an inch, and I think that there's no need to go any deeper, since I am trying to pop that string, not to wind my fingers around it:p. The archieved sound is percussive, so I don't mind that the string will slip of my finger's tip easily, the motion just has to be timed properly. (In this case: Pulling is letting go). But I notice that my thoughts are wandering, I'm not claiming to be the one to tell you how to slap'n'pop. If you think that such a tight string spacing is incompatible with your way of popping, Ill have to second lamarjones, looking elswhere may be more suitable for you. But just in case you get the opportunity before buying, give it a try!

Johannes

10. the spacing isn't crammed, but I felt it took a little while to get used to.....but I like how they slap.