Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by raised_fist, Jun 21, 2004.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Hye guys, I play a Europe neck through Spector 5-string with EMG DC's, and I have had bad luck with strings.
    I never really payed much attention to the importance of a good set of strings on a bass, and so I always find my bass playing well... average.
    What strings would you recomend? I want a light gauge, very springy, with a bright tone, but still good for all styles. Any recommendations?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I use D'Addario XL170's on all of my Spector basses. They are my favorite. Great punchy, bright and last for a good amount of time.

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a little trouble with the B string on the bridge on mine. Once you get them on though they do sound good.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Took a file to mine and took off about a 64th and now it fits without having to force it.

5. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    DR Lo-Riders on a Spector 5 will put you in heaven.

6. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    I have heard good things about the DR Lo-riders.
    What is the difference between these and the hi-beams?

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

I think the Hi-Beams stay brighter, longer. However, right out of the box for a good week or so the Lo-Riders stay pretty damn bright.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

YES! Listen to this! I only use DR Lowriders on my Spector they are the best. I have spent a lot of money in order to find this out. The reason I like Lowriders vs Highbeams on a Spector is because they lack a little low mid, and the LowRider's bring that out and make it growl. I like Highbeams too but not on a Spector for some reason. If I were to use Nickel strings the only kind I found to do my Spector justice are the D'addario slowwounds which are discontinued.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The cores are different which give the LowRiders a slightly thicker/lower tone. The LowRiders have a hex core which for some reason allows the strings to be stronger in the lower registers to my ears. Highbeams are great too, I like them on passive and short scale basses. They sound sweet on my Rickenbacher.

10. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Thanks guys, I'll give the lo-riders a go!