Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPECTOR STRINGS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DGbass70, Jun 23, 2005.

1. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    JUST TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE TRIED THEM YET.
    AND WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ABOUT THEM,ALSO CAN THEY BE COMPARED TO OTHER BRANDS. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    The strings that came on my Legend 4 were supposedly Spector strings - nickels. They felt good, but went dead after one gig. I would be willing to try them again, though - especially for their smooth feel.

3. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    wow,it seems like nobody knows anything about this strings. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :hyper: :hyper: anyone out there ............i know there's a lot of Spector lovers out there.plz let me know

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i changed'em out...

at the store.

:p

that was like...four and a half years ago. man. :help:

5. When I received my brand new Euro 5, the Spector strings on it were not that great. The G string was dead straight out of the box. I quickly replaced them with my usual D'Addarios.

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I baught my Spector used, so god only knows what kind of strings came with it. I want to try Spector strings but no retailers in my area carry them, and they cost way too much to ship from Europe! I will stick to D'Addario for now

7. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    that's the whole reason that i'm trying to find out about them,cause i don't really know what's on my euro5,i always used d'addarios on my other Spectors(4 stringers) just want to know if is worth spending the money............... :bassist: :help: :hyper:

8. the spector strings on my legend which i bought new are ok but feel really sticky (as oppossed to the smooth feeling i get from my usual d'addarios) i even soaked them in denatured alcohol but they are still the same (if a litlle brighter) :scowl:

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I bought two new Spectors. Never liked the strings! Put on DR LowRiders on my Rebop 5, the Euro should love LR's too.

10. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Hey guys thanks for the input.........keep them coming(comments) but it looks like i will still be a d'addario costumer or go to the dark side DR'S

11. TriplePowerMax

TriplePowerMax

Jul 2, 2005
    Russia
    I use string from Spector bass two years ago. Material - mix from nikel and steel. Not brightly how steel strings, but rather punchy.

12. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    I found a set at GC today on clearance, just over $12.00 for a Spector Nickel 4 String Set Light Gauge (.040-.095). They went onto my defretted Toby, replacing a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Stainless (.044-.110). So far I like them, they feel smooth and sound plenty bright.

It seems like the common complaint is that they don't last all that long. We'll see, I tend to leave strings on for quite a long time.

13. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I think DR makes Spector strings for them.

14. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK

So, you're saying I just bought a set of Sunbeams?

If you are right (and I hope you are), then the irony is that I was intending to switch this bass to light guage nickel strings anyway. Sunbeams were at the top of my list, these just happened to be available at a good price.

As I installed them there was a thought in the back of my mind, wondering if there may be a DR connection. They have a couple things in common; they have no silk and they are wound plenty long to string through-body. The guages are different than what DR offers, though it's not unlikely that they wind different strings so Spector can say "these are made to our specifications."

I may go back tonight and double check the contents of the clearance bin - I would also like to try these on my SB-2 on .045-.105. ;)

15. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    I was talking to a local luthier that is also a Spector dealer, he says that DR is the closest he's seen to the Spector branded line.

16. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I actually bought the Spector strings(nickel) and i liked them but not as much as tought i would like them.The one thing that i did not like was the fit of the B string on the bridge,it was a little bit tight to get it in.(i had to force it a little bit into the bridge slot)
    I curently have a set of D'addario(slow wound) and again i like them but i'm still not happy happy, joy joy.
    The next set i'll be using is a Sadowsky.

17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    IIRC correctly, Spector strings come with a small cleaning cloth for wiping salts and grease off them after you've played to help prolong their life. Nice feature, I'm surprised more companies don't do that.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried Spector strings once, many years ago, and absolutely despised them. Someone above mentioned that they are OEMed by DR. I pretty much hate DR strings also, so that makes sense. As far as I can tell they are fine quality strings (as are DRs), just not for me.

19. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    You know what is funny that the set that i bought(at a store in Florida while on vacation) said that that cloth was included but actually there was none.
    :confused: makes me wonder what happened there.....

20. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    No cloth, and no indication on the package that there should be or ever was one. :crying: