1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Tone Dump

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rickett Customs, Apr 23, 2008.

1. The original EMG HZs that are installed in the ReBop line are passive, so that solves your question. ;)

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Well alright, It looks as though it's gonna go into this one then (Thanks Ian):
    l_ec66224c6a78e93012e90c6298b04248.

3. Just out of curiousity...

The TonePump is supplied by a single 9V battery. Internal to the pre-amp, there is a voltage doubler. Do the pups use this doubled voltage or are they connected directly to the 9V battery?

I plan on using two 9V batteries when I install the EMG pre-amp.

4. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    According to Spector, the preamp is supplied with the doubled voltage but the pickups only see the 9 volts.

5. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    I wish i was in Maryland........my Euro5 needs a tonedump

Alembicplyr that looks like a really nice job(with the bass and the thread)

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks DG,
    I was just doin' what I do.The silver lining is that the BQC makes it look hard, but it's simpler than it looks, compared to some other pup/electronics jobs I've done ;)

7. Ummm... I didn't read the whole post, BUT...

I love that natural wood finish. That is one SWEET looking bass!

Ox.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I do too, but the whole wax routine is a pain in the arse, though I believe it's worth it!

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    True to the the legend of Narakasura, I am drunk with power.

Now, time to go 18v with the BQC.

Now, before we get started, here are the gold knobs:
    Spector18vtransformation001.
    Spector18vtransformation002.

Now to start with, take off the back cover, remove the battery and remove the Velcro battery holder.
    Spector18vtransformation004.

Alright, now we shall take a look at the neck pickup wires, they will ultimately be "pushed aside" for the two 9v's to sit "flat".
    Spector18vtransformation005.
    Spector18vtransformation006.

Here the batteries are staked together, to make sure there will be enough clearance, and the cover is placed back over.
    Spector18vtransformation007.
    Spector18vtransformation008.

Next, we want to remove the negative wire, coming from the battery, from the jack.
    Spector18vtransformation009.

Then we want to add the other "battery clip" in the chain. existing negative (black) to the positive (red) of the new battery clip we are adding, the new negative (black) will go to the jack. I suggest when soldering use cardboard please! So you do not mess up a beautiful piece of wood.Also use some "heat shrink" to go over the solder joint and if you can, use a heat gun to shrink it, Lighters/Flames leave a residue.
    Spector18vtransformation010.
    Spector18vtransformation011.

I used "rubber tape" to wrap around both leads, keeps it cleaner looking.
    Spector18vtransformation013.
    Spector18vtransformation014.

Now, you might be wondering, Why is the hell is he taking a picture of some packaging foam? Ok, well i'll tell ya. One man's trash is another mans treasure, this foam was priceless in this project. I'm not reusing the Velcro battery clip, it was too short, plus it would have ruined the height of the batteries. They would have been a little higher and most likely the cover would not go back on flush either, so this i what i did.
    Spector18vtransformation012.
    Spector18vtransformation015.
    Spector18vtransformation016.
    Spector18vtransformation017.

....And the cover went back on perfect.
    Spector18vtransformation018.

Took me about 25 minutes to do this from start to finish.
    So there it is, 9v to 18v.

When I get some more time, I'll be putting the tone pump in a non-Spector bass

10. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Have you noticed a difference between the 9v and the 18v?

Any chance of some clips to compare the two?

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    No difference to the tone whatsoever, (IMO).
    However, With the eq cranked, there was noticeably less distortion as opposed to the 9v.

I can post some clips, but i'm sure that they will sound identical tone wise. I had also changed the dip switches on the BQC for a knee frequency to 8khz for the treble, which was barely noticeable, almost. More crisper, wait a minute, is crisper a real word? Well, other than that thing in a refrigerator ;)

12. rsatch

rsatch

Jan 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    no i didn't it almost doesn't fit in a right handed spector as is. i don't use that much of boost from my preamp anyways.

13. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I guess more power can't be a bad thing.

14. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Not at all. Plus, at 18V the battery life will be longer.

18V yields similar current draw to running the preamp at 9V, but two batteries gives you twice the chemical mass and therefore twice the milliamp-hours. Therefore, longer battery life.

15. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Looks like I'll be having a go at the Tone Dump operation soon too, I just bought a red-wine coloured Euro 5LX and the Tone Pump definitely sucks big dogs balls. :)

EG

16. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Tone Dump completed! I already had a Seymour Duncan STC-3a pre from a previous (aborted) project, so I fitted that instead of paying out for a new EMG circuit. Took me a fair while to get it all hooked up, as their wiring instructions are pretty awful, but it's all working now and sounding great! It's a HUGE improvement on the Tone Pump, it has far more clarity all-round and all the frequencies are very well chosen and practical. It's funny, it now sounds like I expected it *should* have sounded in the first place, the TP really was choking the clarity and punch of the pickups.

Will report back tomorrow night when I can play it louder, the wife's asleep already and my music room is far from sound-proof. :)

Cheers,

EG

17. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Anyone who needs the tonepump wiring scheme, here it is: (I drew it up last night, I had received a few PM's asking for it)
    Tonepumpdiagram. [/SIZE][/B]

18. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Great on the wiring diagram. I love it.

If anyone is replacing there tone dump contact me. I need one.

19. slamzilla

slamzilla Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    DFW
    Anyone know where you can get the knobs that they use on the USA spectors? I like the way their stacked setup looks.
    Thanks,
    Z

20. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    I had talked to PJ @ Spector about that (before I bought my gold ones), He told me "They are not going to be cheap", I just took his word for it.:)