1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Tone Pump and P/J EMGs in a Fender P...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jd_watt, Jun 4, 2014.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    I know it may sound like blasphemy to some, but I know who's selling these pickups and preamp. I'm considering putting them in a Fender Precision because I love the sound of Spectors, but don't dig too much on the look. I know a lot of things go into the sound of a bass (wood, bridge, construction etc), but would this mod even truly get me close to the sound of a Spector? I'm skeptical, but thought I'd ask because the gear's available. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    No. This is coming from someone who's first required step when receiving a Spector bass is to rip out anything EMG and upgrade to different pickups. I can tell you that most of the Spector sound comes from the Spector bass.

3. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013

Thanks bongo, you've saved me a lot if time and money (and a fine P bass)!

4. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Agreed with Bongo. The classic Spector tone comes from the maple body and the placement of the P and J. As far as I can tell they are pushed just a little bit closer to the bridge. On top of that Spector uses a reverse P layout. Not too sure of how much of a difference it makes but since Stewart has not deviated from that I'm gonna say it probably makes enough of a difference.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Definitely good points. Sometimes folks forget how important that pickup placement is or how much it lends to the "sound" of certain basses. Stingray's pickup placement lends to the tone just as much as the pickup and preamp as well.

Technotitclan likes this.
  6. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    im not shure what it is but it's not the p/j pickups, I have spectors with p/j's and tw switchable single/humbuckers some with the tone pump some with aguliar prees and they all sound like spectors. personaly I think it's the neck construction and the high mass bridges that all spectors seem to share or posably the way the arched body shape resonates contributes to the tone