Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector Tone pump problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lame(B)ass, Dec 18, 2005.

1. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I bought Spector NS-2A from forumite - the bass was upgraded with active EMG PJ pickups and Spector Tone Pump preamp.

The Tone Pump preamp is two band and it's only boost - no cut.

Problem is, that the treble knob doesn't work how it should (I think). There is very small change in the overall tone, when it's moved from zero to max boost. The change is almost inaudible. Acording to Tone Pump manual, the boost should be around 18db. Well, almost nothing and 18 db is quite a big difference. :bawl:

Anyways my rig - Ampeg SVT-200t + Eden 210t + Eden 210XLT.

Tried with my rig, KORG PX4-B Pandora + headphones and also thru Eden Traveler head and Eden 210XLT cab.
    It's not weak battery. I tried that, bass boost works like it should - wonderfuly. But the treble knob does almost nothing... :crying:

Any ideas where the problem can be?

Thanks a lot.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    have the wires came loose from the treble pot?

3. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Just checked it. The soldering job seems to be solid, no loose wiress. But the non-working treble pot is connected differently than the bass pot.

The pots have three "output things".

working bass pot:
    - the one on one side and the middle one are conected together, and the wire goes to electronics block
    - the one on the other side goes also to the electronic box
    - ground from jack is connected to the pot "body" and from there it goes to electronics block

non-working treble pot:

- the one on the one side and the middle one are concnected and the cable goes to the electronics box
    - the one on the otherside is connected with the "body" of the pot and goes to the electronics box
    :eek: :help:

Many thanks. :)

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sorry, don't know the preamp too well. maybe email spector for a wiring diagram?

5. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    The issue was fixed very easily - the treble pot contacts were touching the shielding paint in the cavity - one strip of plastic foil sticked between the contacts and shielding paint solved the problem.