1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector tone pump question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Oct 2, 2008.

1. I know there has been a lot of people bashing the spector tone pump, but thats not what this thread is about...

I'm buying a second hand Spector EuroLX 5 and the preamp seems slightly different, or maybe spector has made changes to the tone pump?

it doesn't have the 2 volume pots, but instead has a single volume and a balance pot? the tone pump pre is supposed to be boost only, does it have center detents, as this one seems to have center notches (which indicates it might be able to boost and cut?)

anyone know if this is the original pre?

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    Honestly, it depends when the Euro in question was made. If it's an older one, you may have an EMG BTS pre in there.

Your right about the center notches - the Tone Pump (being boost only) doesn't have 'em. So I'm thinking you have an EMG (stock, if not aftermarket).

Any idea of the year? Or do you have any photos?

3. well i should hopefully get my hands on it tonight and then I'll be able to give you some more info and maybe some pics :)

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, that sounds alot like the older EMG preamp, which sound great btw.
    I had a '98 NS5CRFM with the EMG pre, and the knobs functioned the same way you described. That was a balls-to-the-wall bass for sure.

5. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Definitely sounds like you got either a pre-Tone pump or a modded Spector. I had a ReBop 5 that only had the boost options and two volumes (see my avatar). I ended up trading it after a few years.....I just couldn't get the tones I was looking for out of it. Great bass, but it just wasn't right for me anymore and I didn't want to spend the $$ on modding it

6. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I modded a Spector Euro5-LX so it had a master volume and a blend. PJ from Spector sent a diagram to me on how to do this wiring...

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    You could even have an Aguilar preamp in there..... one of mine has...

8. wow, I really hope it is the EMG pre, as by the sounds of things, it is the better pre...

either way, the bass convinced me to buy it irrespective of what pre is in there, just because it sounds so damn good!