Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steve724, Nov 17, 2004.

1. steve724

steve724 Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    i just recently purchased a spector performance 4 string used and i got a pretty good deal on it. and i was thinking of upgradeing it to an active with the money i saved. i already love the way it sounds. it has emg passive pickups on it. is it a good idea to make it active and if so what kind of pickups should i get. :help:

2. Ive got the same bass...you've got plenty of options

You could put an EMG premap in it...that would mean passive pickups and active premap

You could put active pickups and a preamp in it

You could put EMG-HZ's in it...they are still passive pickups...but the next model up from the EMG-SSD that are in it at the moment.

I was thinking about doing the same thing awhile ago...but i think i might just get a higher model spector with the money i could have spent on the upgrades.

If you do upgrade let me know how it goes...it still might be an option for me.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Throw some EMG 35-DC's and a Spector Tone Pump in it. Then it will sound like a Euro-4 (well, close anyway). I did that to my Legend and it totally kicks ass. I have 3 Euro's and a Legend, the Legend can hold it's own with the Euro's now.

4. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    i have a spector euro that i have emg's in (p/j set) and have tried both the aggie preamp and the spector tonepump.imho i think the tonepump kicks butt over the aggie & the aggie (obp-1) i love to death :D ( i love the tonepump so much i had to put one of these in my corvette also )
    i think the tonepump is a lot warmer sound & hotter output, the treble i think is a little bit lower frequency than the aggie. you could try either of these for a onboard preamp, actually you might be surprised by adding just a preamp you could probably hold off on the pickups but that is all up to the ears i guess :D

lowendgod

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I fully agree, the TonePump kicks mucho booty.

BTW, nice pic :)