1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Fatcat, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Funky Fatcat

Funky Fatcat

Jul 29, 2005
    Hello fellow Bassists

I need a honest opinion. I have a Spector Performance series and i was just wondering if i should go for a spector upgrade or another type of Bass. Im mostly into slap (Flea and claypool junk) and the soft classical stuff as well as some tap. What do you guys think? :hyper:

2. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I too have a Spector Performer (transparent red, I love the shape and its so light, the electronics aren't excellent though) and instead of upgrading, I would just opt for a new bass. If you enjoy Spectors, I would recommend getting a higher end one. I'm pretty sure that's the route I'll be taking when it's time for me to take a step up. The only question is how far you want to go. They have the Legend series, the Rebops, and even Euros. I personally am probably going to end up getting a Rebop simply because I love the shape and the inlays, and it has humbuckers instead of the P/J configuration.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I agree.... a ReBop or a Euro LX sounds like the right route... :bassist:

4. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'd look for a Euro. Resale value on Korean Spectors is CRAP. I recently sold my Performance series Rex bass for REALLY cheap.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I upgraded the electronics in my Korean Spectors to exceed the US/Euro line, and IMHO, they play just as well, even better than the lone Czechtor in my stable...I'm not worried about resale because I have them tweaked to right where I want them...definitely "Last basses" in their categories! (Fretted and fretless 5s).

6. Funky Fatcat

Funky Fatcat

Jul 29, 2005
    Cool sounds good. Thanks alot for the Info.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    The cheapest upgrade Spector would be the Rebop. It's a bolt-on neck made in Europe and should more than fit your needs. I've seen them recently on Ebay for as little as $599.