1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Spector US18v HAZ preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitar Strings and Accessories' started by e.rich, Jul 17, 2017.

1. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    Price:
    I have an SSD-era, mid-90s 18V HAZ preamp for sale. Included is everything that you see in the pictures, the wiring harnesses, dummy pot etc. I will also throw in some non-Spector knobs (3) and a stacked knob (1) (see pics).

These preamps are great. Tons of headroom with the 18v setup. These are all hand-built for Stuart Spector by Haz, as they have been since the late 1970s. This one is #314.

Asking $175/shipped.

IMG_1802.JPG IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG

tomydacat likes this.
  2. hbabels

hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    So how does this change the sound with EMG 40p & 40 j pickups ? Right now I have a Euro 5 with those pickups and EMG 3 band Preamp.

Sounds good but really prefer the Tone of my NS2A with EMG P/J & tonepump Pre or my Euro 4 String also with EMG p/j but an Aguilar 18v pre 2 band. The bass with the Aguilar is my fav. Seems like the bass boost is a richer Low end and more powerful and treble frequency is just voiced better.

The EMG Pre in my 5 String just seems well bland I guess.

3. e.rich

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    Good questions. I've always found the EMG pres to be kind of meh myself. The 18v Haz is usually found in NS4s but makes a good addition to an NS2 P/J config as well. It would be grittier than the Aguilar (but not overbearingly so) but not as gritty as the 9v Haz. To get an idea of the latter, check out one of the resident Spector bass badasses' (Omer Cordell) video:

There are a bunch of sound clips on YouTube. Note that the 18v is a 3 knob layout vs the 9v which is 4. They're easy I spot in an NS4 but pickups usually aren't p/j by default.

Wolf Tower 5 and hbabels like this.
  4. hbabels

hbabels

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ok cool thanks for the info. I'll check those out. A little gritty is a good thing in my opinion.
    So what's the control/ EQ layout for this Pre ?

5. e.rich

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    Agreed! Layout is volume, pickup balance & a stacked pot with treble boost/cut (top) and bass boost/cut (bottom) +/-15db of gain. Also one dummy pot to fill in the unused fourth hole.

tomydacat likes this.