1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SPECTOR USA BOLT-ON vs EURO NECK-THRU

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5string_phunk, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Good morning all!

I am a Spector fan through and through! I am looking into buying a new 4 string and was wondering the thoughts of people who own both a Spector USA bolt-on versus the Euro neck-thru

I love the idea of neck-thru construction, but when I asked Spector to customize a special order, they said they do not offer most of those upgrades in the Czech factory. i.e. Bart pickups, OBP-3, hipshot hardware etc.

I looked online and it seems like the US bolt-on's have every option that I want in a four string without having to have it modded aftermarket.

I know that a US Spector BO bass will be an exceptional instrument, so why do I feel like I am taking a step back with a bolt-on neck instead of neck-thru construction??

I need your help Spector enthusiasts! :bassist:

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I honestly see no sense in buying a new instrument and having to mod it. If the bolt on features what you want, why not? You could always get a used Euro down the line and modify it.

Probably because Spector is known for their neck thru designs. Neck thru's look nice and sleek and are usually featured on more expensive instruments because their construction is more expensive than a bolt on. However, I cannot stand the tone of a neck thru. Most neck thru's that I've played just don't have the sound I like. I was devastated when my Spector neck thru didn't appease my tonal hopes. :meh:

If I were to buy a Spector, it'd be a USA Bolt on or a Coda. But that's me and you will find most Spector guys want neck thru and EMG's.

3. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    That's a good question.
    The answer is that the neck-thru construction costs more, and the higher price usually leads us to believe that it is better.

The thing that should worry you more is that the USA bolt-on body is slightly different than the neck-thru one, something that doesn't happen with the Euro neck-thru and bolt-on.

The traditional Spector sound is not what you're after (judging from the options you want), so I guess that the USA bolt-on would be a GREAT choice.

If there's one thing for sure, it's that a USA Spector instrument won't fail you IMO.

4. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1 on most of that except I'm the opposite. As good as the bolt-ons are it doesn't have the tone of the NT. No difference in quality with either. Both are superb. I have a rebop , Only bolt on I've ever had that didn't need a shim, and the neck pocket is so tight the neck will only slide in from 1 angle. 5 bolt attachment helps also. Closest bolt on to neck through I have played honestly. Still not the same though.

5. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

6. Different how?? I haven't played a US bolt-on, but I know the Euros are extra comfortable!

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'll take a USA Bolt On over a Euro any day. They are incredible instruments built by a master and legend. Once you step up to the level of a Spector there really is no better or worse, just different. Do you want the tone of a neck through or a bolt on? The Bolt On's are in no way a step down from neck through. For me, my Bolt On NS-5H2 is perfection.

I would say I'd put it up against anything at any price and win, but like I said...there is no win/lose at this level. Just different.

[​IMG]

8. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Slightly less contoured, like the Legend ones.

See the mmbongo's picture above ;)

9. I see! I don't mind the more "legend-esque" type body. That's the bass I used thru college!

Why does it seem like the Bolt on Spectors have more customizable options than the neck-thru? I see bolt-ons with different pups configs i.e. 1 MM pup, MM and jazz pup etc, but never see the NT with anything other than PJ config and maybe the occasional soapbar...

10. That is a Sweet looking bass! Is that a MM style pickup I see?? I'd love to hear how that bad boy sounds!!

11. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  12. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Owner: Ish Guitars, Inc. Owner: Ish Case, Inc
    I can get you some other sound clips if you want, just shoot me a PM and I'll try to dig some up (I was the original seller of that bass).

Gosh I still love that bass!

13. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
  14. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Have I thanked you yet today? :)

15. Ds1

Ds1 Commercial User

Dec 3, 2008
    Syracuse, NY
    Nope, I haven't been receiving your daily Edible Arrangements for the last couple weeks. Whats the deal dude?

Hahahaha :D

16. sounds great! ...and I dig your song choice! Love me some PHISH! :bassist:

17. I have thought about a Forte, but if I get a neck-thru, I would want it to be natural oil finish...I'm a sucker for a natural oil finish! :bag:

I am soooo torn on this issue...If I had the money, I'd just buy a US NT and be done!

...maybe I just need to play some of each to make my decision...looks like I'll be heading to Florida and visit Bass Central in the next few months! :bassist:

18. Don't rule out the Gloss finish, I think the finish on my Euro 5LX is great.

Spectorback.

19. I am not ruling out the gloss finish. I actually just sold a Euro 5LX that had a clear gloss finish and it was a spectacular bass! I am GASing for a nice clean natural oil finish Spector

The reason I'm so particular at the moment is because the first Spector that I ever picked up and fell in love with was a used Euro 4 natural oil finish (roughly 2003) that I played at Sam Ash in Nashville.

I was too broke to afford it when I was younger, but that bass has ALWAYS stuck with me and provided the foundation for my love for Spectors and higher quality basses!

The reason my search has expanded to the USA BO models is because they offer the upgrade options that I am looking for (i.e. Bart pups, OBP3, quick change battery compartment and hipshot hardware). If I could get those upgrades from the Euro factory, or even aftermarket, without coming close to the money for a US BO then I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat!

20. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    If weight is a big thing for you then go with the bolt on. MUCHO lighter than a neck thru.

That USA bolt on 5er may just be one of the best made by anyone.