Spector: USA Bolt On vs. Euro Thru Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Sep 17, 2005.

1. I recently became a fan of Spector bass guitars. I was in the market for several months looking for a Fender Jazz. Then a salesman asked if I ever played a Spector. When I did, I was hooked and bought it the next week. It's a leftover, new Q4 Pro, made in Korea. For under $500, I cannot believe how good this bass plays and sounds. I like it better than the American series Fender Jazz basses.

So, with that said, I can see that another Spector is in my future. The USA bolt on neck models are roughly the same price as the Czech-Republic Euro thru-neck models. Could the members here offer their experiences and comments about these two Spector product lines? Thanks!

2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have a USA Bolt-On that I love the tone and feel of very much more than the Czech Neck Thru's. However, my gripe is with the preamp, I love it, but it doesn't work for me, I'm a passive kind of guy, so my Spector's on the block. I've always liked the USA bolt-on's better than anything feel-wise, and quality control-wise. Both are about even in quality, but the USA models just inch out the others.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My experience with the USA-Bolt vs Czech neckthrough series was the exact opposite of typhlons. I briefly owned a USA Bolt-on NS-2J with the Aggie preamp. I loved it's sound, but it's body was super-lightweight swamp ash with an oil finish. The bass was slightly neck heavy; this was the first Spector I've personally played with neckdive problems.

I was able to return it to my local Spector dealer in exchange for an NS4CRFM, which is the forerunner of today's Euro-4.

I found the USA Bolt-on's neck felt thinner, yet it was ever-so-slightly wider (kind of P-Bass like, which I really liked) than my Czech-made model. Whereas my Czech-made model has a slightly thicker "D" shaped neck. If the USA Bolt-On didn't have neckdive problems I would've kept it.

Soundwise the USA Bolt-on had 2 EMG model-J's through a 2-band Aggie preamp that was "boost" only. It's sounds were awesome; it's lows were really tight and it's highs were very clear, almost "glassy". My Czech-made model has an EMG P/J setup through an EMG BTS 2-band EQ which is boost/cut; it's sound was/is meatier and a bit fuller in the midrange.

But of course, things have changed over the past few years with the Spector Tone-Pump EQ, so this all may be a moot point.

I'd say it's a must for you to try both to see and hear which you prefer. The quality of both basses was/is outstanding.

- Art