1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spector: USA Bolt On vs. Euro Thru Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Sep 17, 2005.

1. I recently became a fan of Spector bass guitars. I was in the market for several months looking for a Fender Jazz. Then a salesman asked if I ever played a Spector. When I did, I was hooked and bought it the next week. It's a leftover, new Q4 Pro, made in Korea. For under $500, I cannot believe how good this bass plays and sounds. I like it better than the American series Fender Jazz basses.

So, with that said, I can see that another Spector is in my future. The USA bolt on neck models are roughly the same price as the Czech-Republic Euro thru-neck models. Could the members here offer their experiences and comments about these two Spector product lines? Thanks!

Paul

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I have a USA Bolt-On that I love the tone and feel of very much more than the Czech Neck Thru's. However, my gripe is with the preamp, I love it, but it doesn't work for me, I'm a passive kind of guy, so my Spector's on the block. I've always liked the USA bolt-on's better than anything feel-wise, and quality control-wise. Both are about even in quality, but the USA models just inch out the others.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My experience with the USA-Bolt vs Czech neckthrough series was the exact opposite of typhlons. I briefly owned a USA Bolt-on NS-2J with the Aggie preamp. I loved it's sound, but it's body was super-lightweight swamp ash with an oil finish. The bass was slightly neck heavy; this was the first Spector I've personally played with neckdive problems.

I was able to return it to my local Spector dealer in exchange for an NS4CRFM, which is the forerunner of today's Euro-4.

I found the USA Bolt-on's neck felt thinner, yet it was ever-so-slightly wider (kind of P-Bass like, which I really liked) than my Czech-made model. Whereas my Czech-made model has a slightly thicker "D" shaped neck. If the USA Bolt-On didn't have neckdive problems I would've kept it.

Soundwise the USA Bolt-on had 2 EMG model-J's through a 2-band Aggie preamp that was "boost" only. It's sounds were awesome; it's lows were really tight and it's highs were very clear, almost "glassy". My Czech-made model has an EMG P/J setup through an EMG BTS 2-band EQ which is boost/cut; it's sound was/is meatier and a bit fuller in the midrange.

But of course, things have changed over the past few years with the Spector Tone-Pump EQ, so this all may be a moot point.

I'd say it's a must for you to try both to see and hear which you prefer. The quality of both basses was/is outstanding.

- Art