1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD SPECTOR USA NS-JH5 5-String - Solid Flame Maple Body, EMG/Aguilar, MINT

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jtlee, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    SOLD!!!

Here's one flamin' hot Stuart Spector NS-JH5 5-string; handmade in Woodstock, NY by the man himself. In near perfect condtion with just some very minor nicks on the body edges. I love the tone of this bass, just time to thin the herd a bit. Has a brand new set of DR Hi-Beams on it. Includes the original Spector case. Specs:

Body: 2-Piece Flame Maple
    Finish: Black Cherry Stain (oiled)
    Neck: 3-piece Rock Maple
    Scale: 35"
    Frets: 24
    Fingerboard: Pau Ferro
    Pickups: EMG 40J single, 40TW bucker (splittable)
    Preamp: Aguilar OBP-1
    Controls: V/V/Bass/Treble (push/pull on Bridge pickup)
    Misc: Voltage-doubler (increases headroom of pre-amp)
    Weight: 8.4 lbs

These retail new for around $3K. Asking $1500 shipped in the US. International shipping is fine, just PM for quote. PayPal preferred. Trade offers are welcome, but they better be damn good cause I really need the cash! Thanks for looking.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tripb19

tripb19 Camel - Camel

Jun 18, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Gorgeous bass, and props for the international shipping, I'd buy it if I didn't have a custom on order.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    That's some serious bass right there.

4. If this is still around on the 15th theres gonna be trouble. I've been looking for one of these. Ash neck though huh? they're normally maple is this one an odd one. Beautiful bass my friend.

5. Need a Zon Sonus special 4. Who doesn't? Just trade bait,let me know.

6. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    mine just got stolen out of my home just days ago here in west-central Maine (Farmington area)..keep yer eyes peeled..
    Even if they sand off the serial # mine has a unique mod. Center-detent active treble boost/passive cut.
    The bastards also took a Turner Ren RB4FL; also a one-off with a figured cherry top
    Apologies for the hijack..

7. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    I actually just copied those specs from the previous owner's description, but I think you're correct on the maple. I corrected that in the listing. On the Zon, you know I love me some Zon's but I'm on a 5-er kick right now, so the 4 won't do me much good. Thanks for the offer though!

8. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    PM sent...

9. A 4 banger won't do you any good? No good besides take you back to your roots and make you realize what it's like to play bass :smug: ;) . It was worth a shot. Like I said, if by some long shot it's still around when I haves me some cash it'll be on. Much jealousy directed toward the winner of this one.

10. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    LOL...this coming from a guy that's be snatching up 5's like crazy. :)

11. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Don't understand the relationship between 4 strings and roots. I started playing bass 20 years ago on a 5 string. Although I do play 4 strings, they by no means feel like going back to roots to me...

12. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Ben was just kidding...he and I have done a few deals in the past. He was just trying to "sell me" on his Zon 4. :)

13. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Beautiful bass. How would describe the sound? Does the solid maple body make it overly bright or aggressive?

Also, it's just a small detail, but that is not a "bookmatched" top. If it was, all the grain would match in the middle.

Jim D.

14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    The bolt ons have a life of there own, they don't have that bite that the neck-thru's have and can even be mellow sounding. Pull the switch and go to really mellow with the 2 j's kicked in.

Someone buy this....

15. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    The bass sounds aggressive (like most Spectors), but not in the overly bright way. Note definition/articulation are amazing.

The bolt-on Spectors are my favorite; they don't have as much low-mid empasis as the neck-thrus and have more of that Fender J-bass "snap". The EMG TW is also an amazing pickup; by far my favorite EMG.

On the bookmatch: I copied the specs from the previous owner's description; I edited it out for you nitpicky TB'ers. :p :D

I know it's not a perfect bookmatch but it's much more difficult to get a true bookmatch on a full body (compared to a 1/4" top).

16. What can I say, I loves me some 5 string. This is an awesome bass for a great price. Someone should grab this before I have the cash for it! The Spectors with maple bodies are getting harder and harder to find, trust me.

17. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Unless you look in my storage facility...;)

18. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Got an early 90's 34" scale Euro neck though 5 in that stockpile of yours?

19. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    no comment.:cool:

20. jtlee

jtlee

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    You fargin bastage...:eyebrow: :bawl:

Thread Status: