Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPECTOR,- USA, or Euro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between the USA and Eoru Neck-Throughs. And also, Can you tell the difference?? Thanks, Bob

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I cant tell you the specific differences, but i can tell you what i got from playing both a Euro 5 through neck, and a USA 5 through neck - the USA basses were alot better than the Euro basses, which were good in themselves.

3. A lot better? That's hard to believe, since Euros are outstanding quality instruments. But I don't know, I never tried a US Spector.

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It really wasmy opinion that the US i played was alot better than the Euro i played :)

I thought the b string was much more 'even' and sounded much more like a 'regular' string.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    IMO there isn't much difference in the quality of the Euro and US Spectors.

The main differences are:

Higher grade maple on the US than the Euro.
    Very-slightly different bridge, even more solid on the US.
    Hand signed/numbered on back of US headstock by Stuart Spector.
    A wider choice of custom colours, woods,options etc on the US.
    Beautiful abalone crown inlays on the US as opposed to a plainer crown inlay on the Euro.

For value for money the Euro is superb (and most people won't know the difference visually!)
    For boutique quality and prestige the US is the one.

Hope this helps! :bassist:

6. Oh, that's perfectly possible. :)

7. Rockbobmel

That's cool. I really don't care for highly figured tops, but I do like flame. I prefer like an ash grain. The inlays don't mean much to me either. I do, however like binding, but not on these bases. If that's all the diff, I would surely get the Euro, If they play and sound the same.

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    By many accounts, people seem to like the euros better. Hmm... anyone else feel that?

Troll

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not me.

10. I like the Euros better only because they're much cheaper. :)

11. Knightbass

Knightbass

Jun 19, 2004
    if memory serves, the Euro is in the mid teens and the US is between 3-4K.

12. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Here is my two cents worth on five Spectors I own; My 90's SSD NS5P and my Euro 5 (with the older EMG preamp, but upgraded to 18v) sound and play almost identical. My NS5CR (dot inlays with 9v EMG preamp) plays just as good, but has a slightly different tone (maybe a tiny bit brighter). This is not any worse, just a bit different. My NS5HS (bolt on) has the Agliar, and actually sounds closer to the NS5CR then to the NS5P or Euro 5. I also have a mid 90's BOB5 that has the 3 band EMG BQS system that has the most distinct EMG sound of them all, even though two of the others also have EMG preamps. Playablity of the BOB5 and NS5HS may be a bit different, because they are both bolt on's, but both play great. I would recommend any and all of them very highly.

A question to all the Spector fans out there... I got the Euro 5 recently at the local Guitar Center. It had a clearance tag on it because it had a few minor scratches on the back and a tiny bit thumb wear through the natural finish over each pickup. (A bit of tung oil applied with a q-tip to the areas and now you can't tell the wear was ever there.) The bass was sold as new by the store as they claimed it was just a slightly over used floor model. Being that I got a great deal on it, I didn't argue. It wasn't untill I got it home and looked inside that I found that it had the EMG BTS preamp wired at 18v. Have you guys ever heard of any of the Euro's being shipped this way?

13. Rockbobmel

Thanks guys. I got a line on a Euro, but I can't play it. I am not crazy about spending $3,4,5G on jewelry. I just want TONE and Playability. I could get a USA BO 5 locally for $1,500. but I think I want a NT for that sustain. How is the B string on the Euro 5 ?????

14. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Can't help at all in your quest...but this is a great thread considering my next bass will either be a Cirrus or a Spector. I saw a Spector Euro 5 in a store recently and was inpressed. I must have been looking at a different model tho RockBobby because the one I saw wasn't that much. I don't know what the different models are yet...?

Anyway, I heard a guy playing a Spector live recently and he had great loud aggressive tone.

15. Rockbobmel

Are the Spector preamps any different/better then the Aguilar preamps? Or how about the EMGs. The bass I am looking at has an Aguilar.

16. Esoterik

Esoterik

Jun 20, 2004

I think the new Spector "Tonepump" preamp sounds way better IMO. Spector finally got it right on this one. The new preamps are more Hi-Fi sounding and the highs are crisper without ever beeing harsh. The lows are really nice too. I didn't like the Aguilar pre. It was too Tube-like sounding for me. The voicing of the new preamps really fit the character of Spectors IMO. I'm going to buy one from PJ Rubal and install it in my current Spector Czech 5.

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I've never heard of Euros with EMG BTS' being shipped prewired for 18V.

I'd ask PJ at Spector about that one...

18. Rockbobmel

Who is PJ.?? Sorry, but I'm new with this.

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Go to spectorbass.com to find his addy. PJ Rubal is the Artist Relations man at Spector. He's an A-1 rep and a hell of a nice guy to boot. If I ever had any question, big or small, he always answers them quickly and completely. Great guy! :hyper:

20. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I own two Spectors, a '98 Euro and an '83 US model. I have played a number of Spectors in addition to these.

The Euro is a great value vs. the really high $$$ of the US model. I have to say that I've had a hard time justifying dropping the cash for a US model. To me, the newer Euros seem a little cheaper than they were although a great value bass (production is certainly ramped up to be in Guitar Center, etc.). I just played the new Euro LX the other day, however, and it was excellent. Great tone, great neck, and really nice looks. I think it is worth every penny at under $1500!! You 'd be hard pressed to go wrong with one of those.

Just as a side note, my '83 Spector (original factory before being bought out by Kramer) is my favorite bass. It has the old HazLab preamp and a badass bridge. It may be beat up, but it sounds and plays like a dream.