Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector users what kind of music do you play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3rdEye, Mar 31, 2003.

1. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    Am I the only one who plays R&B/Funk with the my Spector or are there others? It seems to me as though all I ever see, either on their website or elsewhere(this board), are Spector players in heavy rock situations. I know people think they have a sound inclined for rock but I really think they are versatile basses that sounds nice in other situations too. Just Curious to know what others think.
    :confused:

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not too much into today's hard stuff. But, I do like a lot of classic rock, a lot of blues, and a little jazz. I play 'em all with my US NS-4.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Man, I get some wicked low down Gospel tones from my two Korean Spectors...play mostly black gospel and contemporary Christian music, though my guitar training was more rock and blues and you can hear that in my bass playing.

Spectors handle any gig I get called for, it's all good!

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    If it is any help, I emailed Dave LaRue a month or so ago to ask about his new CD. He told me that he plays mainly Spectors on that CD. Go figure...

5. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
  6. 3rdEye

3rdEye

Nov 30, 2002
    CA.
    Hey Hot, yeah I often compare the tone of my Spector Czech 5 with Doug's USA's on Living Colour's "STAIN" and other albums he's done. The tone is very similar to his. To me thats a good litmus test.LOL Doug is pretty diverse. I have a Will Downing(R&B) album where Doug does two songs and he has the best tone of any other bass player on that album. I know it's his Spector because it sounds like one.LOL Looks like I'll most definitely have to check out the new Dave Larue album for sure just to get other perspectives of the Spector sound.

7. I play rock and jazz with my Rex 5. It sounds great for either style. I don't know people stereotype them as being for heavy music. The bright highs and overall clarity sounds great for any style of music IMHO.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I play mainly rock, but the more time I spend with these basses, the more versatile I think they are.

Sometimes I'll roll the treble off a bit (or all the way) on my NS4CR for a radically different sound. This adds a funky midrange quality to the bass. I pretty much keep the pickup blend right in the middle, and just rely on the onboard EQ to either add bite, or add a little funkiness on the fly.

With my NS5CRFM however, I employ a different strategy because that bass has pickup volume knobs, and the Aguilar preamp. If I want to warm things up with a funky midrange sound, I roll the neck pickup down, and roll the bass up a tad. This makes for a fingerstyle sound that would be at home with many genres outside of rock.

Add to that the fact that Spectors are dead quiet in most recording settings, and you have a bass that would be at home in most any studio, doing most any kind of music!

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My band played all originals that sounded like what would have happened if Stevie Ray Vaughan had joined Pink Floyd.

When we first recorded I used a fretless Jazz, and a Guild Pilot. About 70%/30%.

Then I started having neck issues with the Pilot and I had to have a bass that did everything the Pilot did well at least as well as the Pilot did.

I found an NS2A that covered all those basses just fine. With the same p'ups as my Guild, and a better preamp, neck-through construction, and an even faster neck.

Wow.

My fretless is still my main bass. But my Spector can and will do anything I want.