1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector vs Fender P (help please)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AceBasser, Dec 9, 2011.

1. AceBasser

AceBasser

Sep 29, 2011
    Hey i've been playing about 6 months and have a Squier 60s CV P and am looking to upgrade in the near future. Originally I was looking to upgrade to a Fender P, but i saw a Spector yesterday in a music shop and fiddled with it and just love the overall design of the thing.

My question is do Spectors have a preferred Genre of play? I play mostly Ska/punk/reggae and some oldschool rock. I don't know much about basses besides what i read, and rarely post on here for fear of asking a dumb question. I'm looking to spend around ~700$ so i feel like i should get some opinions from people who know better than me. Right now i'm looking at the Fender Strandard and the Spector Legend 4. :help:

2. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    Spectors are great all around basses for any genre as are P basses, but Spectors and P basses have a different sound. The Spector is going to sound more modern, hifi, growly, and active white the P bass will be smoother, deeper, rounded, and classic.

These are generalization and you can have a smooth sounding spector and growly P bass, but the above is the general break down.

3. Crimson36

Crimson36

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree with this explaination. I personally prefer the feel of spectors and I feel generally their tone can fit almost anything, however if you're looking for a very particular sound perhaps the p would be better. Honestly though a lot of it comes down to the individual basses you're looking at. You can't go wrong though both are good quality basses.

4. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    If I were you, i'd save my money for a better Spector model, but not so soon with only 6 months of bass playing.

The CV P is a great model and not just for starters.

As for Spectors, they're good with any genre as long as you use the proper technique for that genre. This goes for almost every bass.

5. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I own a bunch of P basses, MIMs Squires, 85 Japanese Jazz Special, all good basses. My next bass will be a Spector. The Legends are good but Ive seen Rebops (Bolt on neck Euros) for $500-600.

6. If the Spector has 2 pickups you will have more tonal options than with the Precision and possibly a thinner(= faster) neck and more ergonomic body shape.

7. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    You already have a good P, get something else

8. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I agree, My MIMs arent any better then my Squier

9. AceBasser

AceBasser

Sep 29, 2011
    thanks for all the replies. btw i'm planning on selling my Squier to upgade. and suggestions on a Fender P thats not too expensive? ~750$

10. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    How about installing a jazz pickup in the neck position of your P bass. You'll get sounds similar to a spector.....

11. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Careful with your assumptions, amigo. Going out and dropping $750 on any "Fender P" will only guarantee that you've spent yourself a chunk-o-change on a new axe. If you're going to go ahead and spend that much on a different bass, I'd say make sure that the one you're buying delivers that much "more" in terms of sound and playability.

If you simply must own something else, well then so be it, but just keep in mind that buying a different bass is only an actual upgrade when it's somehow better for you. As one of our pals mentioned, you already have a P-bass. If it simply needs a good setup to play better or maybe a different pickup to get you a different tone, etc., that can come at only a fraction of what you're thinking of spending on a different instrument.

Just saying that if you want to get into something else, find the specific bass that you want. Most likely IT will choose YOU - you'll know it when you hear it and/or feel it in your hands.

12. BeSharp

BeSharp

May 17, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I have had a P bass and a Spector at the same time. I recently sold the Spector because I have other active electronic basses that sound so similar that it wasn't worth keeping them all anymore. You'll notice I held onto the P bass because nothing sounds exactly like it. Of course my P is a 1966 so that might have something to do with my keeping it.

13. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    A Spector will work in any situation from children's albums to death metal. Which model are you looking at?

The P bass is a good time tested tool and will fit most situations ad well.

As for getting what you pay for, the Spector is by far the better deal. Materials, Construction, attention to detail, playability, electronics, you cannot compair them.

You may want to wait just a bit on buying one. The Spector Club here is working something with Spector. And there are going to be a LOT of really sweet basses going up for sale soon. I'm sure you'll be able to get far more for your $750. If you have any questions please come to the Spector Club Thread. Every one there is more than happy to help with anything you'll want to know. There are Spector employees that post there as well.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

14. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    What model Spector? Been playing for 20+ years and the main reason I play them is nothing sounds like a Spector ( AIC, Tantric type tone for me). Interesting.

15. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    I'd take any Spector over any Fender any day of the week. :)

16. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I wouldnt go that far. Not sure I would trade my Jazz Special for a Performer or Legend. It would take a Euro or Rebop to get me to bite.

17. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I would tend to tell you that a $750 Fender P Bass won't be any better than the Squier you have. The suggestion to save up a little more and if you like everything about a P Bass go after a Deluxe.

The Jazz Deluxe I owned was the only Fender Bass I had that was appreciably better than my CV Jazz.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Before you separate yourself from $750 .... I'd ask a couple simple and important questions.

What exactly does your current bass not do that you need/want it to do?

Does the bass you are looking to "upgrade" to, give you what you think is lacking in your current bass?

For myself... P basses do everything I want/need them to do, and anytime I've strayed away from them (i.e. separated myself for hard earned money on some other bass), I find myself going right back to the P design.

So.... what do you want your bass to do that the P bass doesn't deliver?... and will the Spector deliver on these perceived shortcomings?

... or do you just feel like spending money (not that this isn't a good enough reason, but sometimes those are the purchases that are most regretted down the road)

19. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i have said it once, and i will say it 1000 times more:

a pbass does it all.

20. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Except sound or play like a Spector ;)