1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Spector Vs. Fodera

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorG, Jan 7, 2017.

1. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    God, I hope I don't offend anybody here but I need to ask. I bought my NS 5XL in 2000 which, I think, wasn't long after Vinney split from Spector and started sowing his own magic. At the time it wasn't quite yet the rock bassist's Nirvana and I played (and still do) every style I could on it. Fodera's seem to now be many "virtuoso" player's 1st choice and I often think it might be time to make a switch as I have tried these great instruments in shops and been blown away. But then I get home, pick up the Spector and think maybe this is better.

Does anybody out there own both or have enough knowledge of both to put my mind at rest or get my credit card?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Your history is pretty far off....

While Spector may have a general sound, Fodera uses a wide variety of models and electronics, so there isn't really an archetypal Fodera sound to compare to.

TrevorG likes this.
  3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    The Fodera logo gives me the willies. Haven't you ever seen Silence of the Lambs?

That's all I got.

4. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Damn funny! Never played either...I'm just a poor civil servant with a daughter in college to pay for. But maybe someday I will (well, after I put my younger daughter thru college, too.) Umm...looks like I'll probably never play either, ever. Oh,well. :)

5. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    The only thing better would be an open mouth with the butterfly inside!

6. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Hey that's not an easy question to ask as no one could tell any one wish bass to pick as it depends on a lot of factors! What works for me doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you! But if your doubting it that much just pick up the spector! As it will be a lot easier to sell if it doesn't suit you then the fodera! Cuz of the price difference.
    So With that being said,
    no worries your not alone!!
    I happened to own both!
    2 foderas 5 string
    1. A 2012 NYC 5
    (one of last NYCs made!)
    with top of line upgraded mike pope preamp !
    2. one of foderas higher end lines!
    My Spector is a Euro 4 string neck thru from the 90s!
    I also have 2 Smith's one a BSR EG 6 (top of line)
    & a 90s Smith 5!
    Did I mention my MODULUS TBX 6? all original (93)
    it's probably easier to Check out my profile pics. as more Basses on there ! but for simplicity I'll rate my top 6!

I must honestly say,
    No direspect to any one of these master Bass builders !
    but in my opinion my favorate of all my basses is in this order !!
    1. Spector 4!
    2.NYC 5.
    3.Smith EG6
    4.MODULUS TBX 6
    5. My other Fodera
    6.Smith 5
    Hope this helps!!
    So to answer your question in my opinion & experience the SPECTOR!!

TrevorG likes this.
  7. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Vinnie had been on his own snice the early 80s (83?) but no one but you can determine which instrument is best for you or your playing situation I own a Fodera a Ken Lawrence and a Sadowsky. All of them kill yet my passive Reimer PJ5 just fits my current plating situition best.

TrevorG likes this.
  8. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    An important observation but there is a consistency (I think) in the the liquid sound and flexibility. Possibly down to Bob Pope?

9. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    As the father of twin girls I TOTALLY respect your choices. As someone who waited ten years between first playing a Spector and finally affording one I will stick my neck out and say a parent shouldn't neglect defining who they are as an individual to set an example to their children. Forgive me if I sound patronising but from the way you talk about your children I'm pretty sure you're not "just a poor civil servant".

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Funkinthetrunk likes this.
  10. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Thank you. VERY grateful for you opinion(as is my bank balance).

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bob Pope? I'm guessing you mean Mike Pope's preamps they use in many of their basses. Again it depends on the models though, as a lot of changes are made between them, including the preamps. Look at three of their biggest artists- Wooten, Jackson, and Gwizdala. Three very different bass designs, and very different sounds. If you're hoping for the rounded, somewhat muted sound that Tony Grey has and grab a Yin Yang model, you'll probably be disappointed.

TrevorG likes this.
  12. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Sorry about the mistake. I was interested in the Emperor and Imperial models. What's your opinion on those?

13. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Well, I'm not poor, poor. But far from being rich. I am a civil servant, though. And my daughters have to get their degrees, they have to be better than me.

TrevorG likes this.
  14. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Much respect from one dad to another and let's hope they can think of a very nice birthday present for old dad when they're reaping the rewards of his dedication. :)

Funkinthetrunk likes this.
  15. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Most Foderas are customs, and are built to an owner's spec. There isn't really a "classic" Fodera sound. Now that they make the standards there are some more common sonic grounds to compare.

They are great basses. Workmanship is flawless, they tend to be very articulate instruments (which frankly will shine a light on poor technique - ask me how I know ;)), and they can be incredibly beautiful. I think of them as playable art. But I've played the snot out of mine and it continues to be my go-to instrument. That said I've also bought and sold a number of other Foderas. All were great but weren't exactly what I was looking for. In addition, I am spoiled by my YYD - it just has something that is rare to find in any instrument. It inspires me to be a better player

Spectors are nice basses, though I don't dig the ergonomics. I am pretty particular though. No single right answer, and there are plenty of great builders who make great instruments. Just depends on what speaks to you. I will say that Fodera customer service is as good as it gets, and they are all great people.

yyd22.

TrevorG likes this.
  16. Wow I just wrote about this on another thread.

To be honest, I traded my NS2, a Martin OM, and my Aria Black n gold for a Fodera YYS....my friend almost stopped speaking to me: "THAT MANY guitars for a $%&"ing BOLT-ON?!" he raged. I was feeling pretty low. BUT, the Ying Yang Standard has a lot of tones within; I was able to get 5 different sounds out of it with my rig: a Mesa Subway D800, Aggie comp and B3K overdrive. It plays like a dream, and I got a chance to play the deluxe: wow different, but not that much, except the YYD is even EASIER to play. Playing the YYD made me appreciate the YYS even more: wow for a "standard" model, those guys put a lot of detail and quality into it. I'm looking forward to using it at my gig next week.

I bought my NS2 used, and am definitely thinking of saving up and buying one new to order. I loved that neck. My Pedulla Buzz 4 I bought used is going nowhere though!

As said above, both're worth it!

17. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    I have a US-made NS4 and an Emperor 5. Both are QUALITY instruments and I enjoy playing them. The Fodera is a bit more versatile but there's no denying that Spector sound.