Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector vs. Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by __Syxx__, Apr 18, 2001.

1. __Syxx__

__Syxx__ Guest

Nov 14, 2000
    brisbane australia
    I'm looking into buying a new bass!!! And i'm not sure what to get out of a ibanez and a spector. I'm looking for a price around $900 (australian) so aroung $500 U.S. What are you opinions about both the spector and ibanez basses. And if you own one of these basses why did you choose it?

thanks

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i was in your same condition a couple of weeks ago. i play a rickenbacker bass and i was looking for another bass with a modern sound to complete the sound range of the rick. i was interested in two models. the ibanez atk and the ibanez btb. trying these two basses both still available here in italy i figured out that i was looking for a 5 string bass. so i tried both the models in the four and five string version. the ibanez atk seemed to me very solid with fat neck and a really good range of sound, with a superpunchy j style pickup added in neck position. it was priced 500 us $. the btb was a different bass. thin neck, impressed me less than the atk in finishes, but seemed well made too. it had a lot of colour and tones expcially thanks to a really good preamp with really interesting knobs that let you change a lot the sound of the bass. it was priced a little more than 500 us$. in the shop there was an used czech spector ns5. priced the corrispective of 700 us $. i tried it and for my idea i was amazed by the neck of the spector and by the enormous sound of the two emg soapber pickups. i ended buying the spector.

morale. i honestly think that the btb and the atk are the best basses ibanez is making at the moment. spector is better in material and finishes. if you search a bass with BIG sound go with the spector, otherwise i think you'll not be disappointed with the btb too.
    good luck, and let me know how this will end!
    marco

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never been fond of Ibanez basses. But the BTB are pretty nice like barasso said. I've played a few BTB-400, BTB-500. Fot the money you cant go wrong w/the Koren BTB-400.

<b>BUT</b>, Spector are AWESOME!!!!! I currently have 6 & I want more!!!! The best one in your price range is the NS-2000 4Q (if you want a 5 string it's a 5Q) If you could, A/B both of thes basses & pick the one you like best. <b>If you want to spend alittle more</b> <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010418045409064152164131374211?pid=514416">CLICK HERE!!!</a> This is a Spector NS-4 CR on Musician's Friend for $699!!!! List price of this bass is $1795 & normally sell for 1349.99!!!! If you haven't read up on any other Spector threads, this is a 1999 model w/out the crown inlays that the newer Czech models have. These basses are EXTREMELY WELL made & are much, much better than the Ibanez's or the NS-2000 4Q!!!!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    like nano brown said, go czech!

hey nino, my nickname is barroso, not barasso. barasso is an italian character created by an actor and the name in italian make laugh a lot!!!

maybe nano brown could be an improvment, what about change our nickname? i'll be barasso if you'll be nano brown!!!!
    you have to agree!

sincerely

your friend barasso

5. I couldn't have said it better myself!

6. Attention all my Spector friends. A new member is on a mission to mud sling our favorite bass. Go to the "Best Bass" thread and pay him a visit. How fitting that Spector is missing on his poll!

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    do not worry mr dead.
    monkeys and donkeys have muck more brain than virtuosos
    spector rules

8. You got that right Barraso!!!

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
    my name is B A R R O S O
    if you go on this way i'll be obliged to change my name in barasso!!!

10. ;) After seeing you giving "Nano" such a hard time I couldn't resist BARROSO!!!
    Besides, I've been called worse!

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    worse? mmmmmmmmmhhhhh maybe sounded like
    virtuoso?

12. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    LOLOL!!! I'm Sorry!!! :)

13. Spectors SUCK!!

BARRASO

heheheheh..couldn't resist

14. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    They DO!!! Wow, I guess I gotta sell all of mine. Since they suck so bad, I'll just give em away.

15. Yet another intelligent response from bassvirtualoso!
    :rolleyes:

16. How much do you think shipping will cost and how fast can you get them to my house?

17. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Shipping will be $5000 each. The UPS rates just went up!!! :)