Spector vs Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Aug 7, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I play mostly rock and a little funk with my fingers. I was wondering which bass would suite my playing style best. A used modulus q5 or a czech spector 5 string?
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Oooph, that is a tough choice. Both are very, very nice basses, and would both work very well for what you are playing.

My vote goes to the Q5, I guess. Mainly because when I was shopping, it was narrowed down to a new Q5 or a new NS5CRFM. The Q5 was considerably more expensive, but there is just something about the Modulus sound that really gets me going. Mine has Bart pups and NTMB (3 band) Bart EQ.

I am still gassing for a Czech Spector though, too.

You are just gonna have to spend some time on each of them (if at all possible) and see which one feels and sounds the best to you.
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Easy, Modulus.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very tough decesion. I played a few Q5's & I liked them ALOT!!!!

The Czech Spector is also an AWESOME bass. They sound great, play great & IMO, the best deal on a bass in it's price range, (Unless you find a good deal on a used Sadowsky. ;))

From what I remember on the Q5's the width @ the nut was wider than the Spector 5's. & I strayed away from Spector 5's because of the neck width.

Since you're considering a used Modulus, why not consider a used NS-5 CR, then it'll be an even better bang for your buck.
  5. Are you looking at a graphite neck on the q5? I would agree that either seems like a win/win situation IMO...i guess it would boil down to trying them both out and just going "hey, this one does it for me..." either way, you are purchasing a great bass.

All I know, is If I were in your position, I would be a very happy, content, and calm person :)

Enjoy...either decision is a good one. Personally, I like the sound of modulus basses a bit more (especially graphite necked modulus basses...), but again...either decision=victory

6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Personal preference. Totally.

My personal preference led me to trade in my Modulus Quantum for my Spector NS-4. I wouldn't reverse my decision, either.;)
  7. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    i saw a velvet green Q4 on ebay with a sadowsky preamp!! looked soo gooood!
  8. Well, I don't really like Czech Spectors (working on selling mine), and I haven't tried any Moduli except for a Quantum Sweetspot with an EMG which I absolutely hated... However, I've heard insanely good things about Quantums with Bartolini pickups, so I'd probably go that route.
  9. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The Spector in question is neck through,no? If so I'd go with Modulus because my preference is for bolt on neck designs,aside from the other obvious attributes of the Modulus design.
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i prefer spector, but you can't go wrong thay are both excellent basses!!!
  11. If the modulus has bartolini pickups go for it, if not i'd go for the spector
  12. Neck-through Spectors, Rickenbackers, and Wals are the best frickin bass tones in the universe!