Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector vs. MTD... help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by afroman, Apr 28, 2001.

1. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm gonna buy my first 5-string in about three weeks. The two basses I like aren't sold around here, so I will have to buy from the Internet (which I have done before).

These are the two models I like:

1. Spector NS-2000/5
    2. MTD Kingston 5 (K5)

I know that the MTD is much more inexpensive than the Spector, but I would like to know your opinions about both of them (forgetting about price). Which one would you recommend? Which is better quality? Better sound?
    i know some of these questions are difficult to answer but... please help!!!

I play almost every style, from ska, reggae, latin rock, pop, hard rock, etc. Since I can't try them before I buy, I want to buy the bass that has the best sound, but that also has good quality and construction (so the probability of me having to return it is minimized).

All advice, info or opinions are welcome.

Thanks....

2. Afroman,

Well to start out the MTD basses are very good indeed, and I am sure you wil A-B them if you have not already. You know your price range, which is apparently in the "good quality" mid price area.

I have not played an MTD bass so I can only offer you my own views of the Spector NS2000-5 of which I own.

For a Mid price bass the NS2000 is great!! ya have to play one to see if it fits you as some people don't like Spector necks, some don't like the string spacing etc.. The 35" scale is comfortable to adjust to, the B is tight, clear and brutally deep, the tone is real punchy, tons of mid and very clear highs.

Be sure you are getting the original neck-thru NS2000 with the trademark ergonomically curved body. Try to avoid the bolt on flat bodied NS2000 "Q" series, it is just a cheapened down version of Stuart Spectors original concept for this segment of his bass line.

There is alot more than meets the eye to owning a Spector bass. Once you own one they really do become part of you and you find yourself as part of the ever loved "Spector owners" that post here regularly.

If you haven't already, check out Stuart's Czech mfg'd basses, they are the next step up and man o man, are they sweet! The NS2000's can't quite compare with them but don't let that bum you out, if ya can't afford one of those the neck-thru NS2000-5 is still a mighty fine bass. I love mine and always seem to have other bassists come up to be and ask me about it.

Good luck

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I also haven't tried a MTD, but I used to have a NS-2000 4 neck through & it was GREAT!!! I had a NS-2000 bolt on & the bass was great, also. I afree w/Riz, if you can get a Chech NS-5, you will probalby never want to buy another bass (until GAS kicks in :)) <a href="http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010425055920209244101141233111?pid=514417"><font color=blue><b>CLICK HERE</b></font></a> to see the special deal that Musician's Friend has on 1999 NS-5 CR's They have black & red one's. This particular model was upgraded in 2000 w/crown inlays & AA figured maple bodies. The ones that they are selling have solid color's & dot inlays, other than that, the bass is exactly the same as the 2000 models & the 2000 models sell for $1499.99!!!! If that price is still too high, you will not be disappointed w/the NS-2000 5.

4. I've heard good things about both these basses in their price ranges, though I've not tried either one. Just based on the specs, though, they present some clear distinctions which will probably make you lean one way or another. Specifically, the Spector is a neck-through with narrow string spacing, rosewood fretboard, and two pickups, and active electronics, The MTD is a bolt-on with wide spacing, either rosewood or maple fretboard, one pickup and passive electronics.

If you prefer wider spacing or a maple fretboard, the MTD is going to be more your thing. If you're uncomfortable with wider necks or absolutely love neck-throughs, the Spector is more likely to be it for you. Some people are going to find the active electronics on the Spector more appealing, but that's the kind of thing you could add to the MTD later if you wanted. Stuff like string spacing, though, you can't change.

Pesonally, I'd go for the MTD, because I like wide spacing and the punch that comes with a bolt-on. The countoured Spector body is pretty sexy, though.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Right off the shelf, you're considering 2 basses that are total opposites! As people have mentioned, Spectors have neck-thru's, whereas the MTD has bolt-on necks.

String spacing is a big variable, as well. I personally own a US Spector and am happy with the string spacing. But, what's right for you?

Construction-wise, MTD is not as good as the Spector, but is still a wonderfully crafted bass. It's just that Spector seems to take his construction one extra step and is very consistent from instrument to instrument. On the other hand, MTD basses are no slouch: they ARE built well.

Another huge difference is the sound. Spectors sound more electric, with their EMG's, whereas MTD's sound very mellow with much lower output Bartolini's stock. These two pickups are definitely the two ends of the spectrum, so you're most likely going to like one or the other...but which, only you can decide.

I'd personally vote for the Spector, but you can't go wrong with the MTD.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm very curious about some of the replies which talk about the differences in string spacing between the Spector and MTD.

I own an epiphone T-bird and I find the spacing very comfortable, but it's not as spacious as Fenders (which I find comforting as well). I've tried Yamahas, and found that the wide neck and huge string spacing are not as comfortable for me as the Epi and Fender.

With that in mind, will the Spector be the best option for me regarding neck and string spacing???

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes. If you're looking for closer string spacing, the Spector is right up your alley. I don't know the spacing of the MTD but going by the posts, it's a bit wider.

8. Look on ebay or for used stuff. I got a used Warwick Streamer Standard for $605, a bit more than what you'd pay for a Kingston or a Spector, but it's definitly worth it.

9. Oh, yeah, the MTD has a MUCH tighter B than the Spector, in my opinion. Also, the MTD sounds a lot like a StingRay, but doesn't have quite so much tonal variety. I personally say go with the Kingston. The sound would be more useful in the kinds of music you listed, plus you can add a preamp if you want to.