Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector vs. Peavey

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I know I already asked about peavey verses alot of other basses, but I have ONE more question (hopefully). Do you think I would be better of with a Cirrus 6, or a Spector 6 string. Alot of bands that I like have bass players who play spector (or warrick). The Spectors sound and look really nice, but I'm not sure that they'd work for jazz, or funk/fussion. They sound great for rock, but thats not all I play. Because of that I'm thinking the Cirrus would be more versatile (spelling?)

How much would a GOOD spector cost. (theres some in musicians friend for like $600, but I assume those are low end ones.)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Spector is a very versatile bass, but the active EMGs have a distinctive sound and may not be quite as versatile as the pickups in the Cirrus. But you really can't go wrong with either bass, they should both work well in the types of music you asked about, IMHO.

A good Spector would be the ones from the Czech Republic or the USA models. The USA NS6XL lists for $4200.

Unfortunately, the Czech models do not include a 6 string.

The Korean NS2000/Q6 lists for $799, it is $599 right now at Musician's Friend and is probably as good as any other $600 6 string out there, but not comparable to the USA or Czech models. It has the EMG HZ pickups, which do not have the characteristic active EMG sound, but do not sound very good either, IMHO.

It's your $$$ and you're the one who has to make the decision, but if I were choosing between the Cirrus and the NS2000/Q6, it would be a no brainer. I would get the Cirrus.

If you can afford the USA model, and love the sound of EMGs, that would be a great choice too.

3. I agree 100% with the last post.
    I own 3 Czech Spectors and will always recommend them to the highest degre but as was stated, they're not available in a six string.
    One question though, do you really need a six string? The reason I ask is because that really limits you if you are looking for an "affordable" bass, assuming you are. What is affordable to you is your price limit. I would go with a fiver because you can get the maximum bang for the buck because everyone is producing fivers in all price ranges so there's much more to choose from. The same can't be said for the sixes. if you really gotta have a six string then my advice is to audition any model you can find and afford. The appx. $1600 list Cirrus 6 is one worth trying out if it is in your price range. Good luck.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll take just a little different approach, and instead of discussing price, I'll tell you my take (objectively) on the Spector sound...I can't comment on Peavey, since I haven't played a Peavey in years, and wouldn't compare my T-40;)

Anyway, the NS series, with 18-volt electronics received accolades from reviewers, such as Bass Player magazine, I think in the 1994 to 1995 timeframe. Bass Player magazine felt that you could easily coax tones as warm as a P-bass out of the neck pickup, as woody as the J-series basses on the market, and as modern sounding as they get.

In terms of versatility, it's my opinion that you could do differently, but you CAN'T do better. I'd really recommend picking up the two basses, as well as others, and give each one about 20 minutes of your time. If you ARE planning on spending as much as 6-string Spectors cost (the US version), you'd be mistaken to not spend countless hours with every bass you can come across! After all, while people like Mr. Dead, Nino-Brown, and myself are huge Spector fans, not everybody shares these sentiments. It's your hard-earned dollar.

By the way, when I do buy another bass, it may very well be another Spector: I love 'em that much:D:D

5. Being a Spector fanatic is an insanity unlike any being a fan of any other bass guitar. In fact, one of my guitarists always insists on being the bands' bassist every time he jams on my bass (forgive me)!
    What other bass can give a hard headed guitarist that kind of feeling? (I doubt you'll find one better)!!!

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for the advice,
    Yeah I would consider getting a five instead, if it were a better bass, and I could afford it. Although I don't think I can afford $4,200. :)
    I'm looking more at the $1000-$2000 range.

Also does any one know of a store in or near Missouri that stocks Spectors? I've tried about 10 different stores, but haven't found any yet. I like the way Spectors sound, but I don't want to order one with out trying it in person.
    O well, I g2g, thanks for the help.

7. embellisher

BMG, I wish I knew of a store that sold them for you, but if you get to play one, you can get a Czech Spector 5, solid quilt maple, active EMG pickups, etc for around $1000 - $1200.

One of the best bass bargains out there, IMHO. Easily as good as some basses costing 2+ times as much.

If the neck weren't a tad chunky and the string spacing a hair tight, I would own one.

8. There are 6 Spector dealers in Missouri. Click www.spectorbass.com then click "dealers" for the info. Be sure to compare the NS2000/5 neck through with the NS5CRFM (Czech Spector). Also, please relay your experience back. Happy hunting!!!

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Ok, I went and checked out the spector sight. (thanks for the address, I couldn't find it earlier.) I live pretty close to Columbia, so I might go and try some spectors out this weekend. I have a question though. Does the europe series have the same features as the USA? Is the only difference where it is built. Do you think I am better of with a Cirrus or Spector - as for as quality/construction.
    Finally I saw the list prices, but how much does one of those usually go for in a music store?
    Thanks,

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can I get piezos on the europe series?!?!?!?!?!
    That would be great!, but It looks like they only come on the USA.
    Is the europe series 18volt or 9volt?
    Is there anyway to get a USA series neck through for around $2000?
    .......maybe I'll look for a used one.

11. embellisher

Actually, that is the price that the USA neck through usually goes for.

The Czechs have a 9 volt preamp only.

12. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can you get an upright type sound out of a spector? I would think that those piezos would help.

13. A used Spector US NS-5 w/o the piezo usually costs about $2300-$2400. With the piezo would be a little more. unfortunately, the Europe seies doesn't include this option (neither does the Peavey Cirrus).
    Here are the differences between the US and Europe series Spectors.
    AA figured maple- Europe (looks great)
    AAA figured maple- USA (looks better)
    rosewood finerboard- Europe
    pao ferro fingerboard- USA
    9 volt EMG electronics- Europe
    optional 18 volt- USA
    www.musiciansfriend.com has some blow out prices on 2000 Europe 5 strings ($999.95). Usually they cost about $1500. Download and print the price and use that as price negotiation.
    The Peavey Cirrus is a good bass but I personally feel that the Spector has more uniqueness and better toanl qualities. The best bet are to try both and see for yourself!

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Call Spector or his distributor and ask. I know that for the US series, they'll pretty much accommodate you:), at least that was my experience. But, be prepared for a long wait:(

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The Czech's aren't available w/a piezo. If you're looking for a used American there are 3 on eBay.

1-<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1416751977">Spector NS-5P 5 String Quilt Bass.</a> It's got a piezo

2-<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1418287235">HAND MADE NS 5XL SPECTOR BASS AAAAA QUILT TOP.</a> No peizo. Actually, it's like mine!!!!! Except mine is 34"

3-<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1418110858">1990 Spector 5 string bass MINT!!</a> Nice Kramer era W/2 J pick-ups

<b>Click on each model to get to the auction.</b>

If you deceide to get a Czech model, you will be very happy!!!!!

16. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    *sigh*, Now I don't know what to do. I would kinda like to get a new six instead of a four, because I already have a pretty good four, but I can't afford $4,200.

Just what do you think would be a good 6 string for about $1,500 I've tried some, and the best I've found so far is the cirrus. Theres not a whole lot of selection around here though. Also do you guys know of any six strings with piezos, other than cavrin, that are in my price range?

Is the spector good enough to warrant getting, another 4? The only way I can see doing this is if I sell one of my other basses (probably Ibanez TR600)
    that way I would still have some money left for a six.

17. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    On the day that I bought my fretless Cirrus 5 I played a fretless Spector 5 (ash body, bolt on neck, EMG humbucker at the bridge and J neck pickup).The Spector was the punchiest fretless I'd ever played but it wasn't as versatile or dynamic as the Cirrus. The Peavey had a smoother sound and cost $400 less so I ended up buying it. All of the other American Spectors I've played have been really sweet but too expensive for me. It's hard to beat the Cirrus 6; I owned one for a week before trading it for the fretless 5 and it was just as good as the Ken Smith, Zon and Modulus basses in the same store--for half the price.

18. As I said, try, try, try them all. If you really need a six then get the best available in your price range. But be sure to try a Czech Spector anyways. If not for now then perhaps your next bass. You'll likely be inclined to buy one after trying it. Try all the basses you can.

19. As much of a Spector enthusiast as I am, I personally don't think the ash body bolt on Spector NS-J measures up to the US or Czech maple body neck throughs, so you may be right in this case.
    However, I don't feel the same is true when comparing the Cirrus to the afterformentioned Spectors.

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    A piezo makes a bass sound like an acoustic bass, not an up-right bass. If that's the case, you might not want a bass w/a piezo. Putting a nice set of flatwoung strings & maybe putting a foam mute under the strings near the bridge would make any bass sound like an up-right. :)