Spector Vs. Warwick : Who makes the better bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm secretly thinking of satisfying my GAS by getting another new bass. I was thinking of either getting a Spector REBOP-5. A natural Czech made bolt on. Or I could perhaps buy my friends Warwick Thumb BO 5. What do you guys think about each brand respectively?
    Which bass do you guys think I should get, if I decide to get a new bass?
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would honestly say that if you're going to get a rebop or a thumb bolt neck that was made recently, the build quality is going to be about the same, but they're going to give you completely different sounds...and the neck profiles are pretty different, too. i prefer the czech spectors to the bolt neck thumbs (the newer ones, anyway). if the thumb belongs to your friend, you know exactly what you're going to get. if you go to the spector website, theyr'e are several videos of some spectors being played at various namm shows. you'll see that the heavy use of maple in the spectors is going to give you a bright zingy sound.

spector movie page

check out some quentin berry, yo :D
  3. I really like the Thumb 4. The 5 strings pickups are so near the bridge it's hard to get a fat, round low end out of it. Just my $.02

I haven't played a czech Spector though.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    The Czech Neck Thru will out class the BO thumb. Two different beasts, thats for sure. Well, to get to the point, if you get a spector, it's going to sound amazing, period.

I say go Spector, since they are much better than warwick*.

*Pollys VERY biased opinion
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the warwick. thumbs are cool, but i havent tried a nice spector yet so im biased too.
  7. I like spectors better, I find that the thumb BO basses have a little too much neck dive on them and I don't really like the body shape. I have played both and found the spector more comfortable to play for me, and I liked its tone better. you should go to a store like guitar center and see if you can A/B them. if you try a spector NSCRFM (the neckthrough models) you will never think about a warwick again. :) just my thoughts. both are solid instruments get what you like best. they are very different.
  8. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Fellas:

I think Spector is more my path. I played some at Guitar center and I found the bolt on spectors to have a quicker neck than the neck-thru. Can someone tell me the big differences between a Neck-through and a Bolt-on neck on spector Czech models. I don't think I can afford an american made one. Let me know.
    and how different are the EMG-HZ's on the REBOPS vs the EMG 45s or 40's on the American Made ones.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You're not so good at keeping secrets, are you? ;)