Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector w/OBP-1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rugrat, Jul 12, 2004.

1. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    After hearing so many negative things about the OBP-1, is anyone happy with this combination? It seems to work fine for me. If I turn up the treble too much, it seems to hiss a bit. Other than that, no complaints.

2. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah same thing it hiss's a little when treble's high but other than that Ilike mine.

3. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    hey, rugrat, haven't we talked about Spector's before? Does your's have a OBP-1 in it? are you sure? I have an OBP-1 in my fretless and I don't have the problem you are referring to. It could be the pickups too, not just the pre-amp. I am using EMG 45-DC's with the OBP-1 and t sounds great. So, I dunno.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The hiss factor could be a tweeter in his set up. I get that with boosted treble too. If that's it, its normal.

5. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    That's true. My ampeg cabinet has one of those too with a control on the back to control it. If that control is turned up that thing will hiss even if all of the treble on my EQ is turned off. Those controls are very finecky.

6. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    It's not my rig, it even hisses through my headphones. It's not a big deal though. It only happens when I turn the treble all the way up. I've had other basses that did the same thing. I am extremely happy with the bass.

7. GraffixNyc

GraffixNyc

May 3, 2004
    New York City
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    This comes right from Spector's user manual.

Aguilar OBP-1® A transparent
    sounding 18v preamp system that
    does not add graininess or noise to the
    instrument. Spector utilizes a special
    “Voltage Doubler” which allows a
    single 9v battery to run the Aguilar 18v
    circuit enabling 18v operation while
    conserving space and providing ease of
    battery change.
    IMPORTANT: As opposed to the EMG
    and the Spector Preamp, the Aguilar
    design calls for the Bass and Treble
    controls as FLAT (no boost) when the
    controls are in the FULL
    Counterclockwise Position. Most
    preamp designs utilize a “center
    detent” on the potentiometer which is
    their reference point for “flat”. For more

info visit: www.aguilaramp.com

8. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    What kind of pickups do you have in your Spector? If it's the Hz's that explains it. There will be some noise out of it. My Spector was shipped with a blown OBP-1, so I never even got to check it out. They just mailed me a Tonepump for my tech to install, hope it's cool.

9. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Which Spector do you have Rugrat?

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Did yours come stock with the Dc-45's?

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, no. My fretless isn't a Spector. But I own several Spectors also. I can see how that may have not been obvious. I don't know what came in it. But the pickups cavities were the exact same size as the EMG 45 and I wanted a good 2 band pre in it, so I went with the OBP-1.

So, I know about the OBP-1, and I know about Spectors, but I don't have a Spector with an OBP-1 in it :)

However, I have 2 custom 6-string Spectors on the way, both of which are coming with EMG 45-DC's, DC's are standard for Euro-5, USA-6 bolt on and all USA neck-through.

12. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Once I get the Tonepump installed into my Rebop, I was considering upgrading the pickups to the Dc40's based on a recommendation from Firk. It has the Hz's now. Do you notice a big difference between the two?

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    The difference between HZ and DC's is like night and day. You will REALLY notice a difference, no kidding! The first thing I did when I got my Legend-6 was put 45-DC's and a Tone Pump in it.

14. I prefer the OBP-1 to the TonePump personally, my Euro 5's all have the Aguilar Pre. I had the TonePump in one of my Spectors and I found it to be a good sounding system but I didn't like the sound of my Spector with the TonePump set flat as much as the OBP-1 set flat.
    I usually use very little onboard EQ and I preferred the Aguilar's tone to that of the Spector Pre when set flat.
    Just my $0.02........

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    We're you able to do a side by side comparison at the same time with 1 bass having the Tone Pump and 1 having the OBP-1?

16. Yes,

I had one with each preamp and did a straight A/B comparison with my own Live Rig at performance volume and one at home with my practice set-up. I had 2 others with OBP-1 Preamps and the Tone Pump was quite different, and also has a TON of output. It also seemed to be overdriving the preamp stage of my head when I switched basses during a show between the other Spector Euro 5's with the OBP-1.
    The comparison was done with 2 IDENTICAL basses, both newer model Euro 5's with DC40's and wired exactly the same, 2 Volume, bass, treble. No blend pots or other variables....

17. rugrat

rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I have an American Bolt On (NSJH5CM). The online manual says I have an EMG-SJ pickup for the neck and a EMG-40cstw near the bridge.

18. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Sounds like a done deal for me now, thanks for the advice

19. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Oh, that's right, you bought the red one from Bass Central right? Cool. There's nothing wrong with those pickups, they are just different.

20. Mr. Boo

Mr. Boo

Mar 29, 2004
    I just bought a blue/black Spector Euro and the bass is awesome! :hyper:
    I do agree that they can be really "treble happy" especially with these new cabinets with the hot tweeters.