1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

spector , warwick , cheap or more expensive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theo, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    Hi, i have a dillema , are low end spectors/ warwicks (Streamer rock bass standart/ Legend 4 standart) worth it or should i wait and save up for higher end ( Steamer LX/ Legend 4 classic). I really value playability and wood resonation.

2. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    Some German Warwick models are bargains used; even here on TB. Save for the real deal.the most expensive bass you buy is the one you should have bought-after you bought the other one as well

Gizmot and Jjdhawg like this.
  3. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    ah
    yes sorry , im new here , i dont really see much warwicks that fit my budget here, i guess ill have to look deeper

4. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I only have four Spectors, so I don't consider myself an expert, but...IMHO Spector legends are great instruments; I have three. I also have a Euro 4LX (my avatar). When I dropped my Euro and scuffed it a little I brought it to the Spector factory, I live about 15 minutes from it. Stuart loved my Euro, gave me the complete history it and his company (I spent three hours with him). From what he said and my experience, he won't put his name on an instrument that isn't as good as it can be and I believe that; there are no entry level models. He tried to produce one in Indonesia but dropped it as he felt they just didn't cut it (Legends are Korean made, Euros are made in the Czech Republic). You'd be hard pressed to find any negative comments about Spectors on TB, the closest you'll find is pre amp preference.

I've been playing Spectors for years, giggling with them 3-4 time a month. I played a Legend live in one band for several years. AFAIC you can't go wrong with a Spector, just avoid the Indonesian models, they are sometimes mislabeled as Legends. The easiest way to spot them is by the bridge, they use the type found on Fender style basses. The bodies are also different, but that can't always be seen in photos.

5. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    Hi , thank you for your reply . I really love how spector presents themselves and how the basses look.but the thing is that i can't have a job and dont gig that offten yet so i dont have a big budget , but I am still looking for bass with a curved body and to be pretty light ( as my ltd d5 weighs a ton and hurts my back). and as spectors with curved backs are cheaper than warwicks with curved backs im looking into them, but there arent deals on them within my area as i live in eastern europe.

6. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I'm not sure what your budget it, but I picked up a used Legend for $300 from guitar center (check their used selection). Considering the quality of the bass, it's a good investment. I didn't intend to play my Legend live (I was previously using a Ric 4001), but it is such a great sounding bass and easy to wear for a typical three hour gig, it just became my main bass.

7. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    we
    well im trying not to pass 600 euros. and no shop sells spector basses in my country , so id have to ship one anyways. The cheapest ones nearest me are ROX/REX 4 for 615e , and performer for 369e. id rather get a legend, classic preferably , but cant really find good deals on that model online.

8. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I didn't realize you were in Europe. Don't bother with the performer series, they're the Indonesian models. Keep your eyes open for a Legend, they do pop up now and again.

9. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    one question , are legend standars a lot different than classics?

10. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    There are several Legend models, I'm not sure about the names. Some are bolt on, some dove tail, some have a pj pickup configuration some dual humbucker and there are several pre amps available. I'm my opinion, the pj with three band is the best sounding and most tonally flexible. Here's an example, notice the stacked bass/treble knob. Also take note of the standard Spector bridge, not used on the performers. That being said, I played a dual humbucker live more.

11. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania

the one you linked is a neck thru those are the most expensive of legends. well i guess if id buy a cheaper legend i could mod it. Really big thank you for the info, helped me a lot

Spent likes this.
  12. I've never owned a Warwick as I am not a huge fan if the neck, but I do own an older Spector Legend five string with a bolt on neck and it plays and feels amazing. The stock Tonepump jr. Isnt everyone's cup of tea, but once you learn how to use it it sounds great. Replace the pre with a Darkglass tone capsule, and change the pickups to either emgs or your favorite brand (for my five string its emg dc in the bridge and a p5 in the neck) and you will have a great bass that surpasses the quality and sound of any American made Fender. I'm truly amazed on the quality of those basses. And cheap. I found my used Legend for 325.00 at the local guitar center. I even recorded an album with it stock, it just sounds great.

Here it is taking a break from recording
    Spector Studio.jpg

An ugly mug holding a beautiful bass. 6 hours in the studio recording and i was getting a little frazzled.
    Autumn's Waiting Studio.jpg

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    BrentSimons, Theo and Spent like this.
  13. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Save up a little longer and get what you REALLY want. Most people regret getting second-best when making a major purchase.

metallicafan18, Gizmot and Theo like this.
  14. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I'm assuming you're younger and just starting to play. A bolt on Legend would work great. They play well, and you can upgrade pickups/preamp down the road. I started with a Legend, then found an old NS2A which was awesome. I finally ended up with my Euro. Each bass was a step up, but all played great.

Theo likes this.
  15. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    well indeed i am , but i probably want a legend with a curved back(because I've learned some lessons of how harmfull gigging with a heavy bass like ltd d5 can be) , and its kind of out of my range right now , so ill try to save up

16. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I've never owned a Warwick but t ones I've tried have been quite heavy due to the woods they use. Not sure if that's true across-the-board.

17. Theo

Theo

Apr 8, 2017
    Lithuania
    well when i saw that streamer standart weighs only 4 kg i was really surprised

18. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Kg, what's that in 'merican?
    I keed I keed just a little dig at the yanks and their SI system ;)

Theo likes this.
  19. SubNoizeRat3691

SubNoizeRat3691 Lovin' the lows Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Davenport, IA
    I've owned a few Warwicks, all but the Rockbass Corvette were great. I had a 89' thumb bass, but quickly traded it away because it was close to 14 lbs... Another thumb I had was much lighter, both played wonderfully! The German corvette I had was a real beater, not a lot of finish left, but it played and sounded great. It was also lighter than the Thumbs.

The only Spector I've owned was a Performer DLX4, and I loved it. Light, very easy to play, sounded good, and I wasn't worried about playing the crap out of it, they are dirt cheap used. I thought it was a great bass to get up and going with, YMMV.

Good luck

Theo likes this.
  20. Jjdhawg

Jjdhawg Supporting Member

May 22, 2015
    Halifax NS Canada
    He's right. I found a deal on here on a ery nice Warwick Streamer and moved some stuff around to fund it. It quickly became my number one and still is. Thanks again Joebar, Great bass :D

Aaron Mc and joebar like this.