Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector=wierd sounds(Spector owners help)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by seansbrew, Oct 3, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    O.K. I recently became a Spector owner, I have a Euro five, and I have a few questions. When I play the low B,C,D, there is a fluttering, sputtering sound that I get from my bass cabs . I have tried this bass with three different amps and cabs and get the same fluttering sound. None of my other basses sound like this through my amps, just this one. Anyone else experience this? Is this just the way this bass sounds? It has the tone pump eq on it(two volumes,bass, treble) and I have adjusted it every which way to try and get rid of the sound. The only thing I can think of is that it might be the strings. I have not changed the strings on it ( very expensive for me right now) and suspect this may be the problem. What do you guys think ?

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Hmm...If it's a Euro, it should have the EMG BTS system which is has Volume, Balance, Bass & Treble, not 2 volumes..
    If you suspect the strings, try changing them FIRST...It's simplest and most likely problem. If that doesn't work, you might want to take it into the shop and have it looked at. Could be you need the pickups adjusted, neck or bridge adjusted, or could be a loose electrical connection. Are you sure you locked down the Allen Screw on the side of the bridge assembly? Whatever the problem is, it sounds like it's something minor, simple, and an inexpensive fix..

Good luck

Slug

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    PS...How's the Zymurgy coming along...I really need to brew a few batches...I've gotten lazy the past couple of years and really haven't brewed....All together I've probably brewed over 500 gallons since I started...Mostly British style extract ales...I can almost nail BASS ALE to a "T"...Lagers are much tougher..

Cheers,

Slug

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'd change the battery too. Batteries can make active basses sound weird as they lose charge.

PS: I have a Spector Euro 4 and it has 2 volumes, one for each P/U. Mine was bought used though, so its possible this was an earlier config that Spector no longer uses.

5. i've been having the same problem to.....its driving me nuts and i cannot find the source!

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    IIRC, the earlier Euros had the Aguilar OBP-1 2 band preamp, and the current models have the Tonepump, which is two band.

The output of Spectors is indeed hot...try controlling your input gain, and rolling off some of the low EQ at the same time...

7. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
    +1
    oh damn those expensive 9V batteries!

8. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    this bass does indeed have the tone pump with a volume for each p/u. I am not adding any bass( turned all the way down) and am subtracting bass on the amp. I also tried backing off the gain on the amp, but it does no help. I will change the strings and the battery and get back to you guys, thanks.

9. finally got my rig to an acceptable tone w/o any flatulence. i COMPLETELY turned down the Tonepump controls on the guitar. then i COMPLETELY turned down the gain on my amp. I also left the master somewhat low on the amp to. Then i began to inch up the gain, and tonepump controls. this was a hella slow process and took a long time to twist each knob just a hair and then play a bit to make sure there was no distortion. finally i found the point on all of the controls that gave me the most volume with a tone i found acceptable without any funny business. Later on i'm gonna lower the pickups and probably go through the whole process again. In my particular case the electronics were just wayyyyy to hot and i had to reconfigure everything. kinda annoying, but i'm satisfied with the results.

10. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Does anyone know what kind of pups are in the Euro? Has anyone changed out the pre-amp in their spector? If I cannot solve this issue, I will change the pre and or the pups. the bass plays nice enough and for the price I paid it would be worth it to me.

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    It comes with 2 EMG 40DCs...I modded my Pro5 to the same specs, but found an EMG 40CS to be a better fit at the bridge position, tamed the harsh trebeliness (is that even a word???) to my ear. Sounds wicked with the EMG 40DC at the neck spot...then i put in the three band EQ, and I'm much happy with it...oh, and I tune down a whole step now, no weird sounds from D to low A....

12. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    i would ck the battery,if not, sounds to me like a loose wire on the electronics(could be the jack).and i just remember..maybe dirty control knobs........any of the above is not so expensive to fix.good luck............ :bassist: