Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nubassplayer, Apr 18, 2001.

1. nubassplayer

Mar 26, 2001
    I should be getting my new Spector before the end of the month!! I'm getting the NS2000 Q5. I might get a different one though. Any suggestions, comments, criticizm?
  2. I've tried the NS2000 Q5 and I wasn't really all that impressed. The B seemed kind of floppy, and the tone wasn't that great. I didn't play it long enough to have an expirienced opinion, though, and a lot of people LOVE Spectors. It's all a matter of opinion.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had one & I thgought it was great. The B was very tight. The only reason I sold it was because I got an NS-5 CR on Musicians Friend for $639.99. I'd go for it!!!!!
  4. BassRacer

Mar 22, 2001
    That was one of their "scratch and dents", wasn't
    it? Do you mind if I ask, what was actually wrong
    with it? I have seen a couple of things that I
    would have been interested in buying, but have
    been afraid to buy a "blem" without actually
    seeing it first.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I don't want to be rude by answering that question for nino, but I believe he got it as a late model that they were trying to clear their inventory of the older models to make room. Correct me if I'm wrong, Nino.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You're both right. It was a scratch & dent sale of a 1999 model. There were some scratches. Nothing constituting charging $639!!!! Normally this 1999 model sells for $799-$999. I got the bass @ such a great deal the even my wife wasen't upset!!!! She said "Wow, that's a good price!!!"
  7. My .02 here on the "Q" series of the NS2000 line...

"Fuggettabout it !!!!!"

If you are going to go for one of Stuart's Korean made NS2000 series basses for heavens sake, why waste your $$$ on the "Q" series???

The only choice really, if one steps back and looks at the big picture within the NS2000 line is the ORIGINAL curved body, neck-thru NS2000 model.

The "Q" series although from a 2 dimensional photo looks approximately the same as the ORIGINAL neck thru, there are quite a few differences which result in a different, and in my opinion, thinner sound.

Even though they both have the same p/u's and electronics that is where the similarities end, and the resulting differences in woods and construction makes all the difference, for example:

The main difference is in the fact that the Q's have a bolt-on neck afixed to a flat basswood body and what can only be asertained as a thin quilted maple veneer glued on top for appearance, while some feel this looks nice, regretfully, it cannot help one play any better, thus it is just an eye catching marketing tool. Perhaps a bit harsh, but none the less, true.

Then compare that to the all solid maple neck-thru design along with the "Spector Trademark" ergonomicly carved, curved NS body of the ORIGINAL NS2000 design. While it should be noted that the new models of the neck-thru NS2000's come with that same "quilted maple veneer" at least it is laminated to the same kind of wood (solid maple) for hopefully the maintainence of tonal continuity.

Based on my own personal A-B'ing of the two I felt a BIG difference in sound and feel of the instruments.

The only rational I can come up with would be one of cost. The "Q" series are on average a couple hundred $$$ cheaper, however one cannot deny that here in 2001 we all get what we pay for.

A real good example of this is when one compares the very best of the neck-thru NS2000's against Stuart's Czech mfg'd basses. While the best of the neck-thru NS2000's are great mid-priced basses, they cannot go head to head with the Czech made Spectors. Two different animals.

If I had my heart set on having a Spector bass, I would think long and hard about the decision to go with the "Q" series. Within the NS2000 line they are not the same.

Good Luck, and as always, just my .02