Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPECTOR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kwelch28, Dec 27, 2001.

1. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    Are Spector's good basses for slapping?

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Spectors are the basses for slapping.

3. Yeah, actually I believe Flea did a lot of recording with Spectors...and most people tend to think that his slapping sounds mighty fine.

As a Czech Spector owner myself, I've got to say that they're (IMO) wonderful for slapping. In fact, I like the slap sound from my Spector more than the slap sound from my Stingray.

4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yes. they are the slap basses. trust me man. go try one, and slap it.

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC

stingrays are too thin... and yeah, Da5id is right flea did most of his early recordings on spectors, even though he uses his stingray/flea bass on stage. actually i think he uses spectors in the videos.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    asking if spectors are good for slap is like asking if p-basses are good for punk.

no matter what i'm doing when I play my spector, the tone coaxes me into playing something slaptastic. Punchy!

7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Although, the slap sound on "Blood Sugar Sex Magick" (the CD, not the song..) is primarily a Wal with some spectors thrown in, along with Alembics, if I remember correctly.

Oh, but, yeah, spectors are good for slapping..but any bass can be a slapper if set up correctly.

Neal

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Really? you can get a good slap tone on a kramer focus p-bass rip off? actully. i wouldnt be surprised if ya could.

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    :eek: i would

10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    The term "good" is subjective, sir :)
    -Neal

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They are for me ....but that doesn't necessarily mean they are for you.

Your proficiency, technique, and the size of your hands would determine how "good" they are.

But, for most players, they accommodate slap quite well. On the classic slap instructional video, "The Slap Bass Program," the instructor is using a Spector.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep.
    Every time I get down to the Twin Cities, I go to Mars Music, grab one off the wall, plug into a big amp, and slap Higher Ground over and over till I get kicked out.:D :D

No I do not, I am just kidding.

13. Slap, pick, finger style, pluck, bang etc. they all sound great Spector basses (unless your technique really sucks)!

14. ryan mars music actually kicks u outa there store?:eek: :eek:

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    alexis sklarevski sure can slap one.:) ;)

16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I think its all agreed. i havent seen one person on here say they arent good for slaping. Even more of a reason for me to go ahead and by me that NS2000/4 or kramer era ns a 2(i think.).

17. Kramer/Spector NS-2A is what you mean!;)

18. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    THATS IT! I have it writen down somewhere....

19. tmt

tmt

Nov 10, 2001
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Is he really used the NS2000 Q series ? I think he used the expensive one..;)