Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SPECTOR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkeywrench, Oct 17, 2002.

1. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    what do you guys think (in general) about spector basses?

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I think they are great. I still believe it's the best looking rock bass out there. I've owned 5 or 6 and they are all top notch in quality and tone

Rob

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I own only two Spectors, the NS2000/5 neckthru, and the NS2000Q5 bolt on, both Korean made. I hope to get one of the new European ReBops one day. These are great guitars friend, if you have a chance at one, go get it!

:D

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Killer basses.

Just be sure to get the higher end models with the real EMGs and not the cheaper import ones with EMG-HZ.

Peace
    Nick

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

A lot of people (Myself included, obviously) would disagree with you there nick. My EMG-HZs sound great with the active tone circuit...I think it compares very well with other fully active instruments on the market, just my humble opinion...

...and while the Korean and Euro Spectors may not be held in as high regard as the US series, they still rock other axes like Fenders, Warwicks, and Ibanez, to name a few!!!:cool:

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I have a VERY favorable opinion of them. Love my Czech 4, killer sound and a rock solid instrument. My next bass will be a Spector.

7. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    yea i have one and i think its great but i havent had many others and i was wondering how it compared to others

8. I've been playing my Rex Brown Signature 5 string (Korean made) nonstop since I got it yesterday and I must say that I love it. The pickups sound awesome, and it is a great bass for the money. It also plays great. I'd definitely reccommend it.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a US model NS-4, which I've loved since I got it in 1995.:D

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    My friend has a Spector neck-thru with EMG-HZ's, and it KILLS. Extremely versatile, it can be very bright or smooth and dark. Fast neck, too. Great bass.

11. how do the ns2000q4 basses sound with a pick? i use my fingers too, but my new band requires a pick, just to fill the sound. i need a bass that can cover alot of things. it has to cut through two really loud guitars and record well, i need some "twang" and growl, reminiscent of maybe an ernie ball. will this bass cut it?

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Willy, IMHO, Stuart Spector basses can do it all!:D

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Which one do you have?

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    They are good, but I prefer the American made.

Peace
    Nick

15. I've got the NS5CRFM Czech made neck thru. I love it.

It can be a bit heavy on longer gigs (esp if I'm already tired), but it's a killer bass!

16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    don't be mistaken, the "czechtor" (did i make that up?) is comparable to the u.s. version, but at about half the price!

i've got a plum czechtor 5 (purchased at bass central, where all their bass are belong to us).

the b isn't as good as a modulus quantum's or a roscoe's, but how many do have b-strings of that caliber, eh?

also the bridge...is a pain.

other than that, it's a real winner!

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    BassBroBrad, is that the Spector Locking bridge you're talking about?

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Hey man, I just got the Fender Neoprene Bass strap so I could deal with the weight, I was using a Planet Waves Tubular padded strap...and man, I can notice the difference! I'm using it on my NS2000/5, but I just ordered another one for my Q5 too! If you see one at your local music store, check it out!:D

19. I'll be the dissenter and say that I don't like Spectors. I admit, I haven't played many, and I believe they were all Korean, but they really didn't impress me. They all sounded really thin and weak sounding, and the five string I played had a lousy B. Like I said, I can't speak about the higher-end ones, and I didn't really play any of them very long. I realize that a lot of people like them (I think I'm about the only one on TB that has ever said anything bad about them), so you very well might like them, too. Just make sure you try one before you buy it.

20. Thanks mate! :D Will check out the Sydney music stores this weeknd...