Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys. One last question on Spectors.

I have a budget of about $650-$700 for my next bass and I'm eyeing the Spector NS/20004 Neck Through and it would cost me around $550. I'm looking to get a bass that will last me for some years so my question is, how's the construction and worksmanship of the NS2000/4. Secondly, what are the pickups like. Does the bass need a pickup change or are the stock pickups do the job just fine?

Thanks!

2. The quality and workmanship on Spectors is excellent. My Rex is constructed very well, goodcraftsmanship, and the necks are reinforced. The frets on mine are perfect and overall there is nothing they could have done better. As for the pickups, that's a matter of taste. Personally, Ilove the EMG-HZs and I think they sound excellent. I've compared them to the ones in the European series, and I can't notice a profound difference except for slightlyless output. I wouldn't change them at all, but some people on here absolutely hate EMG-HZs. Of course, it've very possible that these people also have super expensive basses to compare the sound to, and for the price I definitely think they sound great. But if at all possible, try before you buy.

3. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I was interested in the REX until I found out they are only available in black stain and holoflash now.

4. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    The Rex kills! Buy it and re-finish it!

5. Haha, good luck refinishing a bass anywhere near as nice as an original Spector finish. I wish they made the Rex in a green like they use for the Czech models.

6. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I saw a REX in amberbust and it was GORGEOUS. I bet its sold considering I saw it about 4 months ago. I hope the store still has it. Oh by the way, I'm wondering how big is the Rex. I forgot how big it was.