Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslax, Jun 2, 2000.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    with all of you spector fans out there, i would like to hear from you! what are your favorate eq settings for different sounds-slap, muddy...etc?

------------------
    Life's a bowl of punch, just go ahead and spike it. -311

My radio emits a signal form-a strange noise, a kind of which ive never heard before, i scan the dial for more stations but all i get is an eerie feeeling im not dreamin' this is the real dealin -311

2. Thumbslinger

Thumbslinger

May 26, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by basslax:
    with all of you spector fans out there, i would like to hear from you! what are your favorate eq settings for different sounds-slap, muddy...etc?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I like mine set right in the middle between the p and j pickups. As for tone and bass settings, I find I get a pretty good sound by boosting the bass just a little. Thats what I like so much about the Spector, you have so many tonal choices and moving the knobs just a little changes your sound alot. I haven't experimented too much with it, but would be interested in hearing everyone elses settings and ideas also.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the 18 volt EMG soapbar pickups, not the PJ configuration. I've found that rolling the treble off just a little is kind of necessary when I set the pickup blend in the middle. I give the treble a little boost when I play the neck pickup solo. Other than that, I leave the bass and treble pretty much flat.

As far as the pickup settings I use are, even, slightly on the neck, slightly on the bridge, and the neck pickup solo. That's a pretty wide array of sounds. I can get a pretty warm P-bass sound (only the way a Spector can) when I'm soloing the neck pickup, and a REALLY tight J-bass sound by rolling towards the bridge pickup a slight bit, with a tad less than flat treble.

4. I too have the soapbars and after weeks of adjustment I think I'm getting the settings right.
    I have the bridge pu set quite high and the neck pushed down pretty far that way i can open up both volume pots and still get the tight j-bass sound that i prefer, yet still get the warmth up front. I tend to roll back the treble a little bit, like maybe a quarter turn and have the bass nearly all the way up.
    I've been really impressed with how sensitive the ns2000 is to different strings. strung up some DR lights (40-100) and it sounds really good.
    For the amp settings, as advised, I keep the low and high mids pretty much down and off.

Hey Basslax, you said in another post the ns2000 has a graphite neck, am I missing something? [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by blipndub (edited June 05, 2000).]

5. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah i think that musicians firend said it has a graphite reinforced neck..lemme check

"3-piece graphite reinforced maple neck"

yup

------------------

My radio emits a signal form-a strange noise, a kind of which ive never heard before, i scan the dial for more stations but all i get is an eerie feeeling im not dreamin' this is the real dealin -311

6. Both tone knob set flat for now.
    Gettin plenty of "ooohh's & aaahh's from both band members and the listeners in the crowd..Don't want to fix what seems to be not broken..

Could have somethin to do with matching a Spector bass with Hartke amplification [​IMG]

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Spector Bass with Hartke amplification? And, THAT's UNDERSTATED!!!

I even had my drummer wowing after plugging into a really crappy Peavy!

But, for kicks, I use the EBS amplification. Talk about TONE!!!

8. Charlito

Charlito

May 19, 2000
    Hiya. Just recently purchased an SSD bass - Czech make, 5-string. Beautiful instrument. Did anyone see the article on Phil Spector in the last issue of Bass Player? Legend. Anyway running the Spector through a Trace Elliot AH400SMX and 4*10, 1*15 Peavey Speakers. Got to say that it rocks. Once plugging it in I immediately realised why previously I had never been able to have kick ass tone like the legends of ye old bass world - I now had the instrument to do so!! As to settings etc. I have not much to offer at this stage - still experimenting. At this stage though preferring (two EMG soapbar PUs) both pick-ups on full volume with both boosts on full but for a touch. Pretty muddy at quiet levels but powers through when pumped and perfect for funk quarter-notes and cutty-slap and broad five-string sound. I love these basses :)

------------------
    Charles 'Charlito' Lidgard

9. Charlito

Charlito

May 19, 2000
    Hiya. Just recently purchased an SSD bass - Czech make, 5-string. Beautiful instrument. Did anyone see the article on Phil Spector in the last issue of Bass Player? Legend. Anyway running the Spector through a Trace Elliot AH400SMX and 4*10, 1*15 Peavey Speakers. Got to say that it rocks. Once plugging it in I immediately realised why previously I had never been able to have kick ass tone like the legends of ye old bass world - I now had the instrument to do so!! As to settings etc. I have not much to offer at this stage - still experimenting. At this stage though preferring (two EMG soapbar PUs) both pick-ups on full volume with both boosts on full but for a touch. Pretty muddy at quiet levels but powers through when pumped and perfect for funk quarter-notes and cutty-slap and broad five-string sound. I love these basses :)

------------------
    Charles 'Charlito' Lidgard

10. When I first got my Spector, i ran it through a Hartke combo. The aluminum cones made the sound WAY to midrangy for me and I switched amps. Had to settle on something affordable and simple, so i went one of the Fender BXR, it's quite similar to the Hartke B90 series. It's got a warm solid state sound and good mid range control to reel in the Spector and accentuate my fretless jazz bass.

11. Charlito, I am sure it was just a slip, but Phil Spector is a producer, Stuart Spector is the Father of OUR Basses. Again, just a slip I am sure But just couldn't resist [​IMG]

Blipndub, It's interesting re yr comments on using a Hartke combo and getting too much mid. I was totally stoked on the Nitro-like Mids I got from my Hartke system. Of course It's only fair to mention that I got it to boost the mids on my Carvin LB75(which I got rid of a.s.a.p. after I got my Spector!!)

12. A great case in point of the range of the Spector! I want to mellow out the tone and the Spector allows me to do this without sacrificing the high end.
    Last night I raised my bridge pickup quite high and am enjoying the feel of the ceremic under my fingers. I'm still trying to find a sweet spot that keeps my sound from sounding too "stringy", if that makes sense, and I think that's why I lay off the mids.

I'm new to this town and only here temporarily. I've not hooked up with other people to play and I think I'm not hearing the full range of my gear because I can't really crank it up and hear it in the context of other instruments and noise. Nothing like a drummer to kill string noise, dig?

13. Thumbslinger

Thumbslinger

May 26, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RIZ:
    Charlito, I am sure it was just a slip, but Phil Spector is a producer, Stuart Spector is the Father of OUR Basses. Again, just a slip I am sure But just couldn't resist

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Riz, I'm glad you spoke up on this one. I'm reading this going "who the h**l is Phil Spector?"

14. Seems we have a very observant cadre' of "Spectorites" here. Very nice. I like the continious comunication.

Let's keep it up!
    Thx.

15. I love doing a search on ebay for spectors and getting all these 45s or memorabilia from the Shirelles -Ronnie Spector

16. Ok an actually Spector bass issue.

My volum knobs keep falling off. I've nearly lost them a couple of time. Thre isn't a tightening screw like on Tele knobs. Anyone come up with some ingenius way to deal with this?

17. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    glue?

------------------

18. Knobs...funny you should mention that.

I was a bit surprised that there is no set screw as is common now a days.. or at least I thought it was common.. The Spector Euro series 5 string I was contemplating to buy suffered from the same problem.. You should have seen me crawling around the music store looking for the knobs that just fell off to the floor on their own !

Anyway, your best bet is like mentioned above a dab of glue-careful though "just a little is enough" you want to be able to remove it someday I'm sure.

------------------
    Holdin' down the low end for our Lord, in Surf city U.S.A. !!!

19. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    this is kinda off the tone topic, but what casses (hardshell) do you guys use for your spectors? i cant really find one that fits.

------------------