spectors for jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris643, Jun 15, 2003.

1. chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    i'm thinkin about getting a spector, probably a Q5... i play in many different settings, one of which is a jazz band. is the spector ok for this or is it more of a metal/rock bass?
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Spectors work well in any style of music. I've seen them used in everyhing from country, reggae, and jazz as well.

Having a choice in my stable of basses, I'd reach for a Fender jazz style axe first, but my Spector would be an easy second choice. I've found that the NS-2 design can be a little strident in terms of tone, but it can be tamed pretty easily.
  3. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    If you're getting a Q5, replace the pickups. It's hard to get EMG-HZ humbuckers to sound right for jazz. I used my Spector NS2000 nuck-thru when I was in jazz band, it I couldn't get it to sound right.

If I were you, I'd get direct replacement EMG Extended Series (active) pickups--either a J/J set, or a P/J set. It'll sound much better. Removing the pre-amp would help a bit. The EMG-BTS makes it sound too punchy for swing tunes. I always had to roll-off the bass and treble a bit.

4. Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    i saw a chic bass player doing a low volume jazz gig at a restuarant with a spector fretted rebop five and she got super buttery tone through it. I think she was using a 100 watt crate combo. Anyways, it was pure, smooth and silky. I think it would work fine for jazz