1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

spectors for jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris643, Jun 15, 2003.

1. chris643

chris643

Jun 3, 2003
    USA
    i'm thinkin about getting a spector, probably a Q5... i play in many different settings, one of which is a jazz band. is the spector ok for this or is it more of a metal/rock bass?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Spectors work well in any style of music. I've seen them used in everyhing from country, reggae, and jazz as well.

Having a choice in my stable of basses, I'd reach for a Fender jazz style axe first, but my Spector would be an easy second choice. I've found that the NS-2 design can be a little strident in terms of tone, but it can be tamed pretty easily.

3. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    If you're getting a Q5, replace the pickups. It's hard to get EMG-HZ humbuckers to sound right for jazz. I used my Spector NS2000 nuck-thru when I was in jazz band, it I couldn't get it to sound right.

If I were you, I'd get direct replacement EMG Extended Series (active) pickups--either a J/J set, or a P/J set. It'll sound much better. Removing the pre-amp would help a bit. The EMG-BTS makes it sound too punchy for swing tunes. I always had to roll-off the bass and treble a bit.

--Matthew

4. Dru

Dru

Jun 13, 2003
    Houston Texas
    i saw a chic bass player doing a low volume jazz gig at a restuarant with a spector fretted rebop five and she got super buttery tone through it. I think she was using a 100 watt crate combo. Anyways, it was pure, smooth and silky. I think it would work fine for jazz

5. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    bump

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    spectors rule!

7. yay!