1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SpectraComp and/or Spark Booster

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ross McLochness, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    I'm currently running only P-bass -> SpectraComp -> Rumble V3 500 Combo.
    Obviously very simplistic, but I'm loving the sound.
    Am thinking about adding the Spark Booster pedal to provide a little OD (I'm not a big fan of the Rumble's bit in OD).
    My question is, would these pedals work well together or would it really only make sense to run, but not the other.
    The only reason I'm asking is that both offer a boost and (my understanding) is that OD pedals offer some level of compression.

Thanks.

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The only way to know is to try it.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They work fantastically together, as the biggest thing I didn't like about the Spectracomp was the lack of a volume control. The Spark, placed after the Spectracomp, will give you that. And of course a fantastic low gain transparent overdrive.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  4. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Thanks a bunch mmbongo. I'll give it a shot.

mmbongo likes this.
  5. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I started out with spectracomp 1st, but lately it's sounding better after drives (including Spark with mid switch and low at 2pm, drive 9am) and after envelope before modulation and delay. I'd try both orders although you'll probably try lots of things with the Spark settings. Great eq. options.

6. Compression + overdrive is a fundamental part of my tone. While overdrives do by their nature compress to varying degrees, they aren't controllable in the same way that a compressor allows for. Both pedals do different things - if you want both effects, then there is no reason why you can't have them together.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. Ross McLochness

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Thanks for the info guys.