1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Spectracomp vs Boss BC1x, also Hypergravity.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Two-Spirit, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Anybody compared the Spectracomp to the boss? The spectracomp seems to be more popular at half the price. Idk

2. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A better comparison might be the Hypergravity (full size or mini) since they have 3 or 4 knobs for real-time tweaking. Spectracomp is a one-knob comp, and relies heavily on settings via downloaded "Tone Prints" (as do the other two). You may find the Spectracomp a bit more tricky to dial in quickly. If you don't like what you get right away, you'll be auditioning TonePrints or manual settings via software until you find what you like. The Hypergravity pedals give you enough knob control to allow for a much broader range of general compression control.

What you're paying for in price for the Boss BC-1X is, IMO, the gain reduction meter, which is a great visual aid for setting the comp. WYSIWYG with the Boss, vs. the TC pedals, which are cooking their settings largely via software "under the hood".

I'd say that if you have a strong working knowledge of compression techniques and settings, the TC pedals are very good pedals that'll save you a few $$$. Boss is a big name and has a strong reputation, so I'm sure their comp is a well-conceived piece and worth the money.

So, if quick set-n-forget with manual control is what you want, go for the full size hypergravigty or the Boss, then the mini hypergravity, and lastly the Spectracomp. JMO, YMMV.

Two-Spirit likes this.
  3. Christian N

Christian N Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2013
    The TC Elcteonics Hyoergravity can be customized via computer software. While much is under the hood straight out of the box, you can get under the hood of that thing. I'm interested in knowing if it handles extended range (lower) instruments... and the string gauge discrepancies you get.

I' trying to go ass low of a gauge string as I possibly can on (even) a Dingwall NG2 and as high as I can on the other strings in succession to further lower the discrepancies which are slightly assisted by the fanned frets. Since my lowest string need to be a G0 and my next strings are in drop C, I have s9me pretty big jumps in string mass. The low G is still flubby as sin compared to the rest of the bass.

Hopefull multi-and compression can help, and I'm kind of scratching my head as to why there aren't more demos addressing these issues to which multi-band compression seems perfectly suited.

The complaint I hear is that TC pedals have a high noisefloor. Hopefully it's not too bad. Bongomania says he's too biased against TC Electronics to do an unbiased review... but he's not a typical extended range player, so I'm not sure how helpful it would be anyways..

If anyone can chime in on what I've said... thanks!

4. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Spectracomp is popular with a reason: it's capable of multiple sounds. Some presets are dark, some are bright, some are middy. From a dozen presets you'd likely find the one you like and use it with one knob. It's known to be noisy when used past 1-2 o'clock though.

On the Boss there is no tone knob, it always has a rather bright tone. Listen to demos of it, either you like it or not.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Stock preset on the Spectracomp is dialled in perfect for me, I’ve sold all my other compressors including a Cali Compact Bass. I would not want to move to a Hypergravity - yes you have more hands on control, but you have fewer presets especially designed for bass, and the stock preset will all be different as the Hypergravity is not billed as a bass specific pedal. I can’t comment on the Boss.

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  6. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I have the SpectraComp and really like it. Although none of the presets worked for me, too much additional gain. So I had to get in there with the editor and create a my own preset. The software is extensive with numerous adjustable parameters. The word is TC has a more user friendly editor on the way. Sometimes I wish I had gone with the HyperGravity simply because of the additional knobs. The editor would have allowed for the assigning of threshold, ratio and gain to each knob creating more flexibility of the fly.

7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I’m on the beta-test with it.

The new editor is great.

8. Thibs

Thibs

May 13, 2018
    Hey,

No word yet on the new editor release ? Thx