Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speech recognition software

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by gsys, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Does anybody know of any freely downloadable (like open-source or demo version) software that I can use to take voice dictation (speech to text) on my computer? I've been wanting to do more writing, but I don't want to get the carpal tunnel or something what with the spending all my time typing, bass playing, and other such.

2. babaBUMP

Let's see if I can get more than 3 thread views this time.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Google it man...

4. What is this mysterious "google" you speak of? I've never heard of it before!!

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    That´s a question that mankind has been asking itself since to dawn of time...

For more info on that question, go to www.google.com

P.s. The answer is 42

6. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know of any free stuff. But, it's a big deal in the Medical field. I've seen demos of the Medical version of Dragon Naturally Speaking. It's pretty impressive, but still doesn't get everything exactly right. It's about $200. http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I work at a hospital that has tried (3 times, don't even ask how much $$$) to get speach recognition software for medical dictation. Let me just say that it is still a long way off before it's practical (I'm cautious to not say never...) It can work if you have basic needs, but in the medical field you have a very large percentage of users with a very wide range of strong accents (as well as a propensity to mumble and speak to fast) and a every complex vocabulary. The error rate was well over 25% for the best software they tried.

VR can work if you are willing to change the way you speak when using it and can keep it up for the duration of your dictation (not as easy as it sounds).

It must be possible tho. Cmdr.Adama did it on Battlestar Glactica, and that was in the 70's, before even DOS, Windows, Linux, and MacOS.:D

9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    We were looking at it for transcription as well. I agree with you. Everyone wants voice recognition, but I'm not sure it will be really useful in medicine for several more years. For normal use and talking it should be OK.
    And I had forgotten about Battlestar Galecta. I used to watch that. I'm afraid I don't remember much about it though.