Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Speed Aging" a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassBaron, Jul 23, 2001.

1. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    I got a really cheap China bass off ebay and I thought I'd let you all know how I made it sound more full real quick (I suppose this would work for any new plywood bass, or any bass for that matter). Since I live in the country, I was able to set my bass in front of my amp and adjust the volume to let it feedback at a moderate volume w/o anyone complaining. I let it do this all day while I was at work (Real musicians have day jobs) for a few days in a row and it really loosened that top right up. I got the idea from the little literature tag on a Seagull guitar that said you should let it sit right in front of a speaker for a while, which is a technique I suppose you could use if you don't have a pickup. I must have put a year+ worth of vibrations in the top in a matter of days!

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    .....and then for a little more scientific viewpoint, check out the article in the July 2001 issue of The Strad entitled "The Ageing Process". Ramon Gayol explains how he alters the general composition of new wood (primarily cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin) to bring it to the general composition of 100 and 150 year old wood.

3. BassBaron

BassBaron

Jul 20, 2001
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks guys. I didn't know there was a whole science dedicated to playing-in new basses. Science and art CAN exist after all ;C)

4. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    I'm a maker and repairer and I've tried this technique only I play bass music through the speakers and just let the bass vibrate. It seems to work.

5. Martin,

Complete your Bio so that others may know where you are.

My stand partner has made 6 basses (2 of them 5 strings ) and about 40 large church organs from scratch but he doesn't brag about it.

Mark

6. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    ...here's a question - does this vibration technique work for solidbody basses? If so, how might I go about doing this (seeing as I live in a busy flat in the centre of the city and don't want to disturb my neighbours too much).

Would I have to use feedback? (Or just play bassy music thru the amp, as someone else seems to suggest they did?) Does the bass have to be on a stand in front of the amp, or what? How far away does the bass go from the speaker?

Sorry to pipe up with so many questions, but you've caught my interest here......

I seem to recall a mention of a similar technique to 'pre-age' basses in BP a couple of years back - anyone else recall this?

Pete

7. Hmmmmmm......
    If I've been standing in front of my amp for all these years, am I actually older than I think? This would explain things to my wife.

Just my way of saying the jury's not unanimous on this concept.

8. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I don't think that it would be a big deal with solid body basses, being that you have pick ups and amps and pre amps, etc. who cares, I have 13 basses sometimes I don't play some of them for a year, when comes time to play, new strings and a good rig will always have the final saying, I think that when guys came up with solid body electric basses they weren't thinking about their wood tone, it was a total different thing, and I can see that wood does matter, I have a Ken Smith and a Surine costom made in the $5.000,00 range, and the tone is more even, but guess what, when a plug in any of my other basses I can get a pretty good tone and in certain situations even more desirable.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    BEESJUAX ,

Hi, welcome to talkbass. Since you haven't filled in your profile, I can't be certain of this, but I have a strong suspicion that both you and KURT WEIL inadvertantly posted on the wrong side of the tracks. This is the DB (Double Bass) forum. I seriously doubt whether anybody down here has any questions about whether a solidbody bass can be speed aged. To pursue that topic, may I respectfully suggest that you start a new thread on the side of the board that is marked "BG", for "Big Guitar"? Thanks.

I wouldn't mention it but for the fact that things are likely to get VERY sarcastic down here in a minute or two if this thread keeps getting responses from Big Guitar players.

Regards,

F SCOTCHTAPE