speed and soloing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Stingray, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Stingray

May 12, 2000
    hey ive been playin for about a year now and i seem to be stuck at a speed breaking point, i cant go any faster and frankly its not fast enough. and i want to be able to play my favorite solos (anestathia-pulling teeth rocks:0) and create harder ones for myself. what can i do to beat this this speed stopping point and the in ability to movce my fingers on the fretboard fast enough. Help me obi-wan your my only hope.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    pratice, young skywalker, and practice music.

speed will come.

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Practice scales, young Skywalker, practice many scales.

Speed will come.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [Master Yoda]
    Impatience leads to bad technique, bad technique leads to stagnation, stagnation leads to the...dark side...:D
    [/Master Yoda]

The best advice is actually to slow down, strange but true.
    Slow down and check your technique. Go for minimal, most efficient finger motion and a clean, even tone with good time. When you sound really good at slow tempo with good technique, you actually have everything you need for playing fast. Gradually increase the tempo with the help of a metronome or drum computer, but still, it's good execution that's the focal point here first, speed just follows.
  5. Beelzebob

Beelzebob Guest

Apr 2, 2001
    Hooksett, NH
    I started out trying to play Anesthesia, too. Beat myself up about it, over and over again. Then I realized it just takes time. Time and lots of practice.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A lot of what seems to be speed is economy of movement, that is, using finger positions where they have the least distance to cover. The fingers are arranged in a pattern where they have to make very little movement so that your plucking hand can attack the notes as fast as possible. And this takes lots of...........(drumroll).........PRACTICE (as Pacman and others have mentioned). The beauty of practice is that you don't have to concentrate on hitting the notes. For me, my mind just seems to go on autopilot when it's time to burn a lick. I think that's why some of us just close our eyes on a really speedy riff, because you just kind of "leave" reality.

Another aspect is having your intrument set up well. Usually, low action is the easiest way, but with practice, you can tolerate a higher set up. The notes don't have to practically fret themselves
    with practice. For instance, lately, I've been trying to simulate the the "machine" bass parts of disco music. They're extremely fast but I don't want to lower my action, even though I could, at the expense of tone.

Finally, are you using all your fingers? Do you have finger independence? The "Hanging Ten" exercise at harmonycentral.com instruction is one way to get it, if you don't.
  7. I agree with JMX. The fastest players didn't pick up the bass one day and start playing fast, they had to start slow.
    I've heard really fast players who are not too clean, but if you know your stuff slow, you'll know it when you speed up.
    Check out Vic Wooten 'cause I think he plays incredibly compicated music as fast and as clean as anyone. I have his instruction video and he stresses learning slowly.
  8. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    It's pretty easy to play total-crap in a very speedy manner. So yeah, start really slowwwwwww and work on the basics, until them become second nature. Then gradually speed things up. If all else fails, try electro-shock therapy, or get a cyber arm that can go really really really fast. hmmmmmmm..
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think you'll find playing Anethesia at a much slower tempo perfectly in time without rushing would be much, much harder.
  10. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I am fairly unique in that I am lefty but play righty - so my speed deficiency was traditionally in my right hand, not the left. In order to make my right hand fingers walk faster, I got into the habit of always playing imaginary basslines with my right fingers on my leg or whatever when I wasn't practicing (in meeting, on the bus, etc). I found this really helped increase those motor skills. As far as my left hand, I totally agree with what everyone is saying about analyzing your lines, making them efficient, and learning to play things slow and well first...
  11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Patience,Patience,Patience and lots of slow and deliberate repetition.