Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speed Kills

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Aug 22, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have been holding off posting this story to see what happens to the parties involved. Things are clearing up now, so it looks like a good time to post this info.

Two weeks ago some family friends were heading south on I-5 in the early evening. Heading towards them northbound were two teenage boys racing each other. One of the boys lost control of his Audi, and it got airborn. He crossed the median, and landed on the vehicle my friends were in. The driver died a couple days later from head injuries. As for my friends....the dad is still in the hospital with broken legs, wrists, and ankles. The mom is in intensive care being treated for multiple internal injuries and broken bones. The son, who is 19, is also in intensive care being treated for massive internal injuries, a fractured skull and face, and several broken bones. He has had several surgeries on his face to repair damages, and is on a ventilator to help him breath. As of today, the chance that he leaves the hospital is slim. His injuries were most severe because the car landed on top of him.

I'm not going to preach to anyone, but please think twice before you race on the freeway if you are so inclined.

-Mike

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I saw so much of that when i was hospital chaplain in the DC area, every weekend seemed to bring so many severely mangled youth that parents would have to eventuly have to terminate life support for.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Prayers and best wishes to them. Hope they all come out OK...that is a real situation. People need to think before they try to race on streets that the life they save might not be their own, but a family. There are places to go to where you can do the high-speed passes, they are called raceways or dragstrips. The movie franchise Fast and Furious is part of the racing problem we have in Houston. All the kids want to be like them...fart pipes and all...

All in all, not cool to race on the street. If you want to go 150mph, go take flying lessons.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    My prayers and best wishes go out to your friend's Mike.

I've known quite a few both, all of whom are atleast my age, most younger, who have died in traggic car accidents. Most of them because of speed. I seem to see it on the news atleast once a week around here as well.

Kids think that they're invincible and that it's like a video game (those kids must have thought that). But they're not, and it's real life. I just hope that something makes kids wake up and quit the B.S.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My prayers to them and their family and friends.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Those arrogant streetracers are a pest, killing themself and dragging other people into death as well. I get pissed everytime I hear about some pimped up racing mobile killing innocent people because the driving lost control due to excessive speed :mad:

Best wishes to your friends.

7. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Indeed it does upset me to see this kind of behaviour. But speed doesn't kill, street racing and careless driving kills. For the few bucks those twerps spend on some exhaust or cold air intake, they could take it to the track and learn how to turn the darned car.

Sorry to hear about this, it does irk me quite a bit. I wish there were more severe punishments for the racers, but keeping them alive and hoping they have a conscious with remorse would be enough.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am going through the anger phase right now. Since the driver is dead, I have no one to direct my anger to. It's making me really frustrated right now. I am not happy that someone has died, but I do feel kind of like he got what he deserved.

What is happening to my 19 year old friend is really sad. He may never leave the hospital. Even if he does, we will not be able to recognize him. His life will be permanently changed. His face was so badly smashed up that even after several surgeries to rebuild his face, he is not looking the same. I don't know how to deal with that. He is a good friend to my son.

-Mike

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    hang in there bro ,
    i was hit by a DWI cab driver from over the median , it destroyed our honda civic but me and my sis were ok.
    you cant protect yourself from stupid people.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. There are tracks around, it's not like there are NO options, even if they are not convenient, they are far better than death and injury.

11. horrible story, MJ :(

best wishes to you and your friends - utterly tradgic :meh:
    hopefully the kid has got some good friends who will stick by him too.

again, best of luck..

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Mike, my thoughts go out to you and your friends.

Reading things like this puts a sick feeling in my stomach. Being a avid racer, I can't stand to see idiots racing on the streets. Most racetracks have amateur nights where anyone can show up and for a few bucks run the snot out of their car in a legal environment.

I would like to see street racers have their cars crushed.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +sideways 8 ;).
    I was going to post this myself... but, no need to, thanks Mike.
    There's a time and place for everything, and racing on the free way is neither.

-Ray

14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    +1!!!
    I've been through a few of these over the years. It's sad. You are doing the right thing by talking about it. It helps you in the long run, but more importantly it reminds us how "real" life is and how easy it is to commit manslaughter when we're bieng stupid. Hopefully those who have read this will take it to heart and share this story with their friends.
    You made the right choice by posting.
    LPB

15. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Mike, even if your friend does get released from the hospital, and no matter what his conditions are, you need to treat him just as before. There might be light or severe head trauma or changes to him that will leave him afflicted which would change his outlook, but it's important for him to have something constant - that's you and where he was. Trust me, I've been there, but on the other side.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks for that. It is going to be hard. I have been unable to see him since the accident since they only allow immediate family in the ICU. Those who have seen him tell me it is really unfortunate what has happened to him. He wasn't a Brad Pitt, but he was a good looking young guy.

At the moment, I am full of anger for the street racer type. I saw a few of them on the freeway on the way home tonight, weaving in and out of traffic. I was incensed, and ready to break down and cry at the same time. It was really scary watching them drive, and reflecting on what just happened to my friends.

-Mike

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    MJ: I know what you mean... I went through similar thing myself (except no speeding involved... just a very dumb person... and well that’s all I will say).

By sound of it the 19 year old suffered very similar things as my nephew did... I will tell you this... I really don’t know how bad your friend is hurt but don’t loose faith in doctors... I really didn’t think they could have fixed my nephew but they did... he looks different but he is ok and that’s all that matters.

A good doctor will do amazing things today…

Remember all that matters is that he pulls through… if he will look different it wont matter… you will get used to his new look… and tell you the truth they did great job on my nephew… he looks very close to what he was before… they were really amazing…

Really man, try being there for the family… From experience, they are probably stuck with out sleep trying to take care of the injured people, so just be there for them… do small things and that helps a lot… As small as swinging by to bring some food to people who might be staying at hospital taking care of the injured ones. From what I remember I would puke after ever time I would eat hospital food, so outside food or any other thing they might need helps.

Good luck with your buddies... hope everything will turn out allright... pm/aim open bud...

18. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Amen to that.

Terrible story Mike. I pray for the best.

19. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    In CA, they have been impounding cars for street racing for 30 days. Other states are starting to follow suit. The problem with this is you can be "allegedly" racing when in fact you are just driving next to someone even at the speed limit or lower. It is difficult to enforce, but the stings out there seem to be working.

Still, the problem itself is that it is illegal, free, and can be done anywhere at anytime regardless of the conditions. Ever since the second car was built, racing became inevitable with more and more cars out on the road.

There's no preventative actions you can do, but you can do what you feel would deter people from doing so. While I do drive a car that might be looked at as a street racer type, such a thing does not even come to play. The ego doesn't get the best of me. I wish others had the same self control instead of trying to prove something. The only thing I can do to help out with the cause of getting the racers off the road would be to educate them and pushing them to the track, or even to an autocross event. It is cheap and anyone can do it in any car. The track is a bit more expensive. The more positive thoughts you get to people out at the track, the better they understand. I'm at least helping out as an instructor.

Sorry to derail, but do keep this updated as to his conditions.

20. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Not those darn streetracers! With their 140hp Civics with fartpipes! They are destroying our youth one at a time! I say we kill 'em all!