Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speed Muting??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Buzz Fretboard, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Hey there guys and gals!

Buzz Fretboard here with yet another thought provoking question for you accomplished players!

I'm sure we're all familiar with Another One Bites The Dust by Queen, yes? At the very beginning our John's :cool: plucking off a quick A-G-E-E-E...now ol' Buzz is, as you might know, a beginning bassist and can get the right notes at the right speed, but can't do it nearly as clean. So my question is this: how does he get that stacatto, over that stretch, AND mute at the same time? How do YOU do it? And how can we get ol' Buzz to where he too can do that voodoo that you do too?

2. the_majik_bum

the_majik_bum

Jan 27, 2002
    Ok Buzzy,

Now, Im a begginer also(only 6 months of playing but i feel im very good), But this song I learned after about a month of playing in about 3 minutes, its very simple acuatlly.

You say the strech is to far? naaaaa, only two frets. And just make sure yur using all your pinky and ring ringer to when fretting

It goes like this if i can tab it right

I------5--3-----0-0-0---0-0-5-0-3---I

If your plucking, then just after you pluck the note, lay your other finger on it to stop the note from ringing. When you hit the note, just barly hit it with your fretting hand, making a short hard quick note.

Its much easier to show you this, and i probably did a crappy job of saying this, but i tryed, hope it helps

later dude

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    you tabbed it wrong... but he said he had the notes and rhythm down already, so i guess it doesn't matter. as for this kind of muting, it's all in your right hand. after each note, your opposite finger will mute the string before plucking the next note. you'll just have to practice it until it becomes more comfortable .

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Buzz: how did you know what "staccato" was before you were able to play it? fairly impressive, i'd say.

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What I do is that i pluck the note with my index finger, and mute it right after with my middle finger. So as the middle finger is supposed to play the next note, it hits the string a little early, so that it stops the first note, creating a staccato. I hope you understand, if not, just ask, and I'll try to be clearer. It's very late, and i'm off to bed.