Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speed on guitar and bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Samelot, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Samelot

Samelot

Jun 23, 2005
    quick question. Is it easier to play faster on bass or guitar?

2. Guitar. Lighter strings, closer to the neck, frets closer together, allow less force to be used to play, shorter distances between notes, resulting in faster playing.

You can probably learn to play bass about as fast as guitarists eventually, but it takes more practice, essentially training for your fingers.

Its equivalent to whether you can type faster on an electric or a manual typewriter.

Randy

3. The important thing is what you play, not how fast you play.

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    says all the slowpokes :p

5. There's nothing inherently wrong with playing fast, if it's appropriate for the song.

However, most players who think playing fast is the most important aspect of playing bass, usually out grow the 'look at me' attitude as they become more experienced and develop a sense of taste.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I wondered where Mr. Tufnel had gone.

that was way more hammer ons than time allowed.

edit: good grief it got worse... Kenny G worse....

7. VERY impressive speed. However, 95% of it is just pointlessly playing scales up and down the neck. Musically the album is a rancid, steaming pile of crap. Although, it is crap at the speed of light.

8. +1... haha

9. jammoe

jammoe

Jan 15, 2006
    Guelph, ON
    I've heard an interesting suggestion that using 4 fingers, and even finding away to do something similar to alternate picking but with fingers, you could eventually logically be faster than a guitarist with a pick. But because there are bigger distances between everything, and the strings are thicker, there are barriers to speed, and it generally seems that guitar is the faster instrument.

But it seems to be FAR too often suggested that skill is speed. Speed is a skill, but skill is not speed.

10. Dude, we know. The guy just asked if it's easier to play bass or guitar faster. There's no need for the obligatory "what matters is what you play/who cares about technique/flashy guitar or bass playing is pointless" responses everytime this topic comes up. WE KNOW.

11. Thank You.

12. I'm sure you know as do others. That attitude is not quite universally accepted, since one of the common complaints about bass players is that they over play while they're busy boosting their own egos. I feel pretty safe saying there are fewer competent, tasteful players than those who are self impressed by their own ability to play fast.