1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speed-picking tips?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by filippo.goller, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Hello fellow pick-using bassists!
    Recently I started listening to Meshuggah more closely and found myself buying almost their entire discography. (LOL)
    I wanted to learn some of their songs, as well, and soon discovered that playing with a plectrum, which I had done rarely in the past, just sounds better (and djentier). ;)
    Of course, I couldn't get past "Bleed" without at least trying it once. And here is the problem. At up to 60-70% speed I managed to nail it rhythmically and without sounding sloppy, as well. But at 75% and up - I think I tried for 2 hours - I just couldn't hold the riff for more than a measure. My right hand starts hurting everytime I try said speed.
    I'm using a down-tuned 5-string set (A#-D#-G#-C#-F#) (gauges .125-.105-.85-.65-.45) and a .5mm plastic pick.
    Will I nail it by exercising like a lunatic? Or does it depend on the strings/pick?

Cheers,

Filippo

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. I use a much thicker pick on the bass than I do on rhythm guitar. The Big Stubby 3.0 mm. The Big Stubby comes in several thickness; I've used 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0. Prefer the 3.0, but, if there is a 2.5 in my case I'll use that.
    51425CkC-vL._SL75_.jpg

Not sure that will help you, as we are all different, however, do give some thought to a thicker pick and yes practice normally works.

I assume you are using alternate picking, i.e. catching a note on the down stroke as well as the up stroke...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
    filippo.goller likes this.
  3. Indeed. It'd be impossible playing 32nd-16th-16th strokes at 110 bpm.

I'd actually never thought about buying thicker picks, as I'm currently only using one for Meshuggah, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the help

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021