Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speed Picking Trouble

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LowPitchRich, Oct 4, 2000.

1. LowPitchRich

LowPitchRich

Jun 13, 2000
    I have a Fender Deluxe P-Bass Special 4-string(made in Mexico). I play with orange Dunlop Tortex picks, .60mm I believe. I am fairly good at string skipping and playing fast economy picking shred style stuff on my bass. It's playing fast single string lines on the E string that I suck at. For example:

-----------------------------------------
    -0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-3-3-3-4-4-4-4-0-0-0-0-

something like that just seems like it should be so easy to play at 200 bpm or something. But I can't play that fast without tensing up my wrist, is that normal? I try to stay relaxed with my picking hand as much as I can, but I have to anchor my hand on my bass because there is no string above the E string to rest my wrist on as there is when picking the A string. It seems almost impossible to relax and play stuff as fast as that. Or should I relax and practice to a metronome until I actually can go 200bpm while being totally relaxed? Or is it some kind of freakish mental thing?

Thanks for all help!

2. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I think you answered your own question. Have fun with your metronome. :)

3. I use the exact same pick's as you, and i have no troubble going at 200 bpm. do you go up, down, up, down... and
    so on? if not, you need to start doing that, or your hand will get very tired. also, when hitting the string on a down, let the pick glide through the string, and then come back up, it should be like a "wave" like motion with your hand wehere everything is even, and the dynamics of both up and down should be even.

4. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Well I use 1.2mm Martin&Co. picks. Well when I pick fast I rest my forearm on the edge of the body and let my hand hover over the body and let my whole arm tense up. Then I just let it fly. I do all down strokes but a friend of mine says I have the fastest downstroke he has ever seen so maybe thats why I never had the need for down and up. My arm at the end of practice does get sore but while I play I feel now pain :) But I need to try down and ups and try resting my hand on some for some of the strings just so I can do it.

5. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    sumthing that makes playing fast notes w/ a pick is to just use the tip of the pick, so that the time spent on the actual string is lessened, ya know what im saying? i cant xplain it very well, but just dont "dig in" as much