speed picking (with a pick)

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by LowPitchRich, Jul 30, 2000.

1. LowPitchRich

Jun 13, 2000
    I play with a pick... and I am wondering about any tips on improving my picking stamina. I don't dig into the strings like Jason Newsted. I try to play as relaxed as possible, but my right hand still does get tired when I play fast songs. I'm wondering if I'm just not relaxed enough... Any thoughts?

Much Thanks!
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although I am not a pick player, I think I can help. You need to do a couple of things. Develop the muscles that you use for picking (i.e. practice the picking, slowly and delibiritly), make sure before playing or practicing those muscles are well warmed up and stretched. make sure your playing position is not unduly stressing any muscles, tendons, etc in the area. After playing give the muscles in your hand a chance to cool down, stretch them, realx them

These are the things that any althlete must do to succeed. Playing bass can be very stenuous to the hand.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hope Mike doesn't mind if I answer here, but I found it really helpful to use a thin pick to balance against the relatively heavy bass strings...
    Check out Frank Gambale's (Chick Corea) speed picking technique - IMO it's the most advanced one...

Frank doesn't use a rigid down-up-motion, but chooses his fingering so that he can play the last note on one fret and reach the next note on the adjacent string in ONE stroke - similar to a sweep arpeggio...

[Edited by JMX on 09-15-2000 at 12:48 PM]