Speed problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi there,

Welle this is my problem. When I try to play fast during practicing, just scales or shapes, I noticed that I was much faster when going down a scale than going up. It is quite a problem cause it means that I can't be consistent in speed during a up and down scale or solo...
    Is it normal and is there a way to improve that point that occure when I want to play realy fast ?

Thanks for your help and coments.

2. Practice with a metronome. In addition, you may want to just play up the scale you're practicing then start again at the bottom rather than descending.
  3. Unless you're playing with a pick, you're always pulling down with your fingers while going down the scales. This means that the strings changes are much easier than having to go up the strings.

So, I recommend what other have already said, play mostly upwards and use a good metronome.
  4. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    These guys know their stuff....Metronome!

Also, wanna play something fast? Practice it slowly. Go for accuracy, not speed. When you can play it perfectly 25 times in a row, only then, advance the speed on the metronome.
  5. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    same as above^^

Go for accuracy.
  6. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    So the winner is....
    Metronome !!!!

Bassjunior, do you means that everybody will have this tendency to play faster while going down than while going up so more attention should be given to up movement ?