"Speed Trap Ahead"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IamGroot, Aug 30, 2019.

1. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I was driving today using google maps on my cell phone and I got the above announcement and sure enough, there was a police car hiding under the overpass about a half kilometer ahead.

Is the warning something new?

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    It does that for me, too. It seems to have happened after Google bought Waze.

LBS-bass and MJ5150 like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I read something about that a while back in the news, yeah, they got it when they bought Waze, and I guess some police groups weren't so thrilled.

IamGroot and Winslow like this.
  4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Heh, last night there was a DWI checkpoint happening on the main road from "the city" into my village. A guy in a Challenger came out of the S leading up to it and, upon seeing the flashers and the long que, banged a U Turn as quietly as he could- right in front of a State Trooper in a Crown Vic hiding off the side of the road. Of course he got pursued.

Garmin and TomTom used to do warnings for any kind of traffic backup/congestion right down to friggin ducks in the road. While I'm sure GoogleMaps would've saved Challenger dude and others some headache last night, I wonder if Garmin and TomTom would do the same or if they co-operate with Law Ops.

Actually... does anyone other than cyclists use Garmin anymore now that cars have been coming with nav systems as standard for over five years?

IamGroot likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Users of Waze can call in things like police, accidents, traffic jams, and pot holes. Drivers then can confirm or deny that the situation continues to exist. It's not foolproof, but it's pretty accurate.

6. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    I was using it while on a road trip a couple years ago, and it said "Animal on roadside ahead". I got to the spot, and it was a Caterpillar tractor. Some wiseacre called it in. But, it was funny.

LBS-bass, DirtDog, Gaolee and 3 others like this.
  7. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I use Garmin a lot because I go places like Big Bend that dont have phone coverage.

MattZilla likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Another thing you can do - take an old unused phone, and you usually can rig it so you have GPS off line. Good for emergencies.

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

About a month ago, you can report slowdowns, crashes, and speed traps.
    Google also leverages data culled from the crowd-sourced data from Waze (whom Google acquired a couple years ago)

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Reminds me of a trick the Maryland state police used to pull out whenever the Grateful Dead came to the old Capital Center near D.C. After you got out of the show and parking lot and out onto the Beltway, you'd soon see one of those portable electronic signs announcing "Drug Checkpoint: One Mile." A half-mile later there was an exit. Needless to say, a lot of concertgoers got off at the exit who otherwise weren't planning to. Perhaps also needless to say, that was where the drug checkpoint was. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    We used a Garmin for a long time because it was cheaper than paying for better cellphone service, and our cars are more than a decade old. Today, Google Maps has gotten fairly efficient for data usage, and has a lot more functionality. I use it for cycling as well, though I don't need minute-by-minute mapping.

12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I still use a Garmin GPS. I use it in rental cars when I do not want to futz with whatever radio the rental car has and do not want to try to figure out where the cell phone can go that lets me see and hear it without causing a problem. It is a great tool for how I use it.

buldog5151bass and MattZilla like this.
  13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Around this neck of the woods, police would be roaming the parking lot of the local watering hole, cleaning one of the pair of headlights on each car. at the end of the night, down the road they could see which cars were leaving the establishment and focus on those that seemed impaired. Probably a tactic used widely. Fish in a barrel, indeed!

14. Also lists roadkill: Kangaroos, wombats, & deers ‘asleep’ on the road can cause accidents or write-off/seriously damage your vehicle.

15. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    First thing I do on any new cellphone is turn off all the location 'services.'
    If ever I need it, it's easy to re-enable. So far, in 20 years, times needed: 1.
    Wife and I both have nice Garmins, updated fairly regularly. Includes realtime traffic updates.
    I can't imagine I'll ever have a car new enough to have an onboard nav. Many of the posts I see in vehicle-specific forums are issues regarding nav system updates. No thank you.

ajkula66 likes this.
  16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Nobody needs onboard navigation anymore because all the new cars have ways you can plug in your phone and navigate using Google Maps or something like that. It wasn't even a selling point with my most recent car.

I'm a little surprised anyone is using Garmin still, but I guess if that's what you're more comfortable with and they're updating it regularly it probably works well enough. My guess is that the thing most people use will end up getting the most upgrades though.

17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Like I said - no nav services on my phone. Google and Apple have no need to know my location, how long I was at any location, nor my speed between them.
    A dedicated GPS like a Garmin is receive-only.
    IME - phone-based GPS is not fast enough to work reliably in an inner-city environment; dedicated GPS whose only job is positional updates and traffic cues is barely fast enough. Telling me 'turn right at the traffic light' when I am already in the intersection is _not_ fast enough in a city (e.g. Philadelphia) that is a rabbit-warren of one-way streets.
    Maybe my latest phone (Galaxy 9) is fast enough, but that's really a last resort.

ajkula66 likes this.
  18. Breaker 19, you got the Rubber Duck, come on.

Winslow and MJ5150 like this.
  19. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Or just download the local area in google maps and keep using your phone.

Groove Doctor and T_Bone_TL like this.
  20. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mine doesn't warn me until I'm basically on top of the speed trap, so not very useful. I always make sure I'm not the fastest car on the road, so I don't worry about speed traps anyway.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021